crampons for La Sportiva Nuptse's

8:46 a.m. on July 18, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have purchased a pair of La Sportiva Nuptse's but for the trip we are doing to Elbrus I need crampons. Unfortunatly I live in Sunny South-Africa, Durban and getting technical equipment down here in retail stores is close to impossible. I am now relying on mail order to get the stuff here. Return policies will not allow me to swop and change equipment as I wish so I have to purchase the right crampons first time. Is there anyone who would be able to advise me on a sutable pair of crampons for my size 44? Thanks

10:39 a.m. on July 18, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

These days, technical crampons are adjustable. So you should have no problem fitting your 44s. I have several pairs of different brands acquired over the last 10 years that I use on my plastic expedition 43s, with and without overboots. I might almost suggest you get a pair of the lightweight aluminum crampons, for example the Air Tech Light from Grivel, if you are only going to do a few peaks like Elbrus. But if you are going to do more serious peaks (yeah, Elbrus is serious, but it is more of a hike - I mean Andean, Himalayan, Alaskan, or Alpine peaks like New Zealand), then steel crampons are the way to go. Black Diamond, Grivel, Charlet all have good crampons. You can use the step-in bindings with your Nuptses. But if you end up using overboots, you probably should have a strap-style toe. I don't mean the old full-strap binding, but the plastic stirrup-like toe, like the NewMatic.

I use my Black Diamond Sabretooths a lot, even for technical ice, as well as my Grivel G-12 with a NewMatic binding. Many prefer the G14 to the G12. For approach and easy glacier hikes, I use my Grivel Air Tech Light with the "classic" binding (it isn't really classic like the leather straps on my ancient forged Grivels that I got in 1959 that had to be bent to fit your boot).

Brian will probably post here. He has more different crampons than any dozen other climbers put together, so has more experience with what you might want for Elbrus.

10:06 a.m. on July 21, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

I'm not familiar with the toe profile on the La Sports. I think I've seen folks use the Petzl/Charlet Sarkens on them, with good success.

My try a post to Mtn Community. I think a number of folks there climb with La Sports, maybe even the Nuptse.

-Brian in SLC

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply