leather v. plastic/orizaba

4:36 p.m. on November 4, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

climbing orizaba in november of this year. what is recommended leather or plastic boots.

i have some great la sportiva leathers that i have used on shasta and such. then the usual plastics we all have.

thanks for the thoughts
chris.

11:48 a.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Brent, Reinhold Mess-Kit

I found plastics to be a bad case of overkill (wouldn't recommend it ya know, but words is a local has climbed the Norte route in tennis shoes!). I enjoyed the climb much more my second trip up in my comfy leathers. BTW, if you're taking a bus from Mexico City to Tlachichuca, "ACOSA" bus lines leaves from the airport 'bout every 40 min or so. Good luck!

Quote:

climbing orizaba in november of this year. what is recommended leather or plastic boots.

i have some great la sportiva leathers that i have used on shasta and such. then the usual plastics we all have.

thanks for the thoughts
chris.

12:14 p.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Used both...

Quote:

thanks for the thoughts
chris.

Make mine leather...just ain't that cold...but, YMMV...

Brian in SLC

3:14 p.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

RJ recommends leather. The guide services recommend plastic. Cortes soldiers that went up to get the sulfur to make more gunpowder used leather-soled (no lugs, no climbing nails, no hobnails), thin leather boots (and complete metal body armor).

Use what ya gots. As Bri said, it isn't all that cold. If your crampons fit your leather boots, then use your leathers. If you have plastic, then use plastic. I used my plastics because that's what my crampons fit, my leathers were badly in need of replacement, and I didn't feel like buying a new pair of leather and breaking them in.

"Vy can't ve just climb?"

5:45 p.m. on November 6, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Ryan, RyanhH

One more vote for leather. We took plastic, and it was overkill.
-Ryan

8:28 a.m. on November 8, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

feet cold even with VBL's (in January)

Plastics-
I attempted it in January in leathers, with VBL's and almost turned back because of the cold in my toes. Definitely plastics next timeIMO- I don't think it's that much colder in Jan than Nov, it was very hot at lower elevations.
ps- I'm going again the first week of January- anybody else?

3:19 p.m. on November 9, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

extra stuff

What do you guys do with the things you do not carry on your climb ? I have read theft is problem at the first camp. Do you leave your extra things, like street clothes, with the fellow who transports you there or do you simply take nothing you can't part with ?

5:48 p.m. on November 13, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Brent, Reinhold Mess-Kit
Hire a Watchman

Both times we went up there, we hired a guy from Hildalgo (small village on the way up) to stay at the hut on summit day(s) to watch the gear. Cost was about $20/day if I remember correctly. Senor Reyes from Tlachichuca helped us make the connection with the right folk.

Quote:

What do you guys do with the things you do not carry on your climb ? I have read theft is problem at the first camp. Do you leave your extra things, like street clothes, with the fellow who transports you there or do you simply take nothing you can't part with ?

9:43 a.m. on November 16, 2001 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts
Just got down from Orizaba

Sitting in an internet cafe in Puebla, just got off Orizaba and Izta. Many of the folks were in leathers, plus a bit over half in plastics. Take your choice. People with plastics seemed to be a bit warmer. It was pretty cold on Orizaba, plus we had a storm blow in off the Gulf, so a bit of snow, but styrofoam snow. One guy going up was about 80, quintuple bypass. And you guys thought OGBO was old!

9:50 a.m. on November 16, 2001 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts
Re: extra stuff

On Ixta, the army presence is so heavy, with two checkpoints on the way up to La Joya and required permits (so they know who to evacuate if Popo pops) that there appears to be no problem. The crowds are small on Orizaba right now (only about a dozen people the last few days while we were up there) that there seems to be no problem there either. But since you will probably take a ride from Reyes or Joaquin from Tlachichuca, you just leave everything you don

8:05 p.m. on November 17, 2001 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts
Last night (Nov 16)...

We headed back to Mexico City shortly after my last post. Last night we headed out for a last dinner, only to be surprised on walking out the door of the hotel to encounter a full-on thunder&lightning display with lots of rain. The weather is a bit unsettled right now, so good luck on your climb.

And so back to the US and my home computer.

5:20 p.m. on November 19, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

thanks for the thoughts
chris.

I did that climb with insulated leather boots (K3). No cold feet. So much more comfortable than plastic.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply