Any Good Climbing Movies/Shows?

2:52 p.m. on November 20, 2006 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Since the debate on this Discovery Channel “Everest” show I’ve been trying to come up with some accurate, compelling movies about or that include climbing.

“Touching the Void” is the best I’ve seen. I had read the book a couple times previously and worried the movie wouldn’t live up to my expectations, but thought it was very well done. I saw it twice.

I saw “Vertical Limit” at a benefit for a local climber’s expedition (ugh).

I saw David Breashears’s “Everest” documentary at an IMAX theater when it came out. It’s been eight years though and I don’t remember a lot of particulars about it (I should see it again). I do remember being impressed by the amazing cinematography and scenery.

I think we have “K2” somewhere in our house on a VHS tape. I’ll have to find it and watch it again.

What else is out there? If anyone has some good climbing movies to recommend, maybe I can add them to my Netflix Queue.

4:59 p.m. on November 20, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Was a thread recently on another forum about climbing movies...cut and paste from that thread below...

Touching the Void is incredible, and, very accurate. The opening climbing scenes and Joe's conveyance of the reasons for his climbing are incredible, and really well done. I really enjoyed the extras on the DVD too.

Eiger Sanction. Fiction, but, classic. The climbing is actually pretty well done. Filmed in Zion, Navajo land, and on the Eiger. Very quotable. Trevanian (the author) died earlier this year (or last).

Uncommon Ground. Well done flick centered around climbing in the Northeast. Keeps my attention and the changes of venues works real well.

Reflections of a Solo Sheep Herder. Laugh my arse off every time I see it. Climbing in North Carolina.

Yank on This. First Pusher video? Great stuff. Seeing Kelly O campus and Dave B slack chain downtown...super. SLC bias to be sure.

The Mountain. Oldy but a goody. Where else you gonna see double rope aid climbing just like the ol' dads used to do, and, with Spencer Tracy to boot.

Moving Over Stone. All good.

Vertical Frontier. Outstanding history of the big ditch.

-Brian in SLC

2:16 p.m. on December 12, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

There is also a series of documentaries produced by The North Face called The North Face expeditions. I believe netflix has 'em. Shows feature different trips by TNF climbers and skiers. Including the trip Alex Lowe was killed on. A nice tribute to a hero.

12:55 p.m. on December 14, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I just got done watching Vertical Limit. The scene where the main character jumps the chasm and clings to the far wall with his ice tools was a nice touch. When I took my NOLS course they must have forgotten to teach us that manuever.

I think the Eiger Sanction is a great movie; both for the action as well as the climbing scenes. The climbing scenes are as realistic as you'll find in a movie, certainly outside of a documentary.

Touching the Void is simply great, both as a book as well as a movie.

Cliffhanger had some good stunts, none of which are realistic, but they make for good movie action.

I think it's hard to make a good climing movie simply because the action is far too slow and generally mundane to keep a viewer interested.

9:01 p.m. on January 1, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Thanks to everyone for all of the movie suggestions. I’ve added a few to my Netflix queue (“The Eiger Sanction,” North Face: Madagascar/Great Trango, and North Face: Everest and Bonus Footage). I also just got “Touching the Void” for Christmas.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply