GT 106 Catridges

8:36 a.m. on February 25, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Has anyone had any luck tracking down GT 106 catridges?

2:40 p.m. on February 25, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Sarah -
As noted in several of the discussions over the past couple of years on this site and elsewhere, Coleman stopped importing the 106 cartridges a couple years ago and has no intention of doing so in the future. They are no longer manufactured by Camping Gaz (a division of Coleman), and few enough of the Globetrotters were sold for the Slovenian and SE Asian canister makers (who do continue to make the 206 canisters) to pick up the 106 series. There are occasional stashes of 106 canisters uncovered, mostly in Europe. The page on where to find cartridges is http://www.campingaz.com/sunbeam/distribution/index_cartridge.htm There are several models of Camping Gaz stove still being made in the 206 series.

Another factor is that, as reported by another poster in the last month, Gaz has introduced a version of the Globetrotter in Europe that takes the 270/470 style connector, with a small canister the size of the smallest Snowpeak canister to go along with it. I haven't seen one in person myself, so I don't know if this might be a threaded connector rather than the Gaz-style that grips the rim around the nipple. However, looking at their website http://www.campingaz.com/, the closest thing I see to the Globetrotter is the Bivuoac (look under the Classic Stoves section). That takes the 270/470 style cartridge.

10:11 a.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

The modern globetrotter is the Twister 270 with the PZ kit; you will find it on the gaz website if you dig long enough. The gaz website is terribly to navigate through.

I think the pans with the 270 are a touch larger than the original globetrotter as the size of the stove on the gas canister is just a bit taller. If you have the original globetrotter you could just use a small modern canister stove which will fit together, but not quite as nicely.

The Twister 270 with the pans are sold frequently on ebay by UK sellers.

12:49 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Umm, alan, the Twister series (under "Easy-Clic" stoves on the Gaz website) is quite different from the old Globetrotter. It uses the 270/470 canisters, not the puncture-style cartridges, for one thing. It looks like the burner/valve combination would fit in the Globe Trotter pot set (the illustration on the website looks like the pots are very similar, maybe even the same size).

Your statement about using a modern canister stove could be interpreted to mean using the Globe Trotter burner on the 270/470 or industry standard threaded canisters. That won't work. But maybe you meant that you could fit the modern stoves, like the MSR Pocket Rocket or a number of the other small burner stoves for Primus, MSR, Markill, or Gaz into the Globe Trotter pot set. This is indeed possible. But then, all you would have of the old Globe Trotter would be the pots. You would have to carry the canisters separately. The beauty of the Globe Trotter was that it was all in one (sort of like the Jetboil PCS).

The Globe Trotter top will not fit to the 270/470 canisters, nor will it fit the 206 puncture-style canisters without extensive modification. However, if you have an S200, you can swap the base onto the Globe Trotter top (or rather, you can screw the Globe Trotter top into an S200 base) and continue to use the Globe Trotter burner and pots with the S206 canisters. An S200 base with the Globe Trotter burner, valve, and pot holder will fit inside the Globe Trotter pots, but without room to include a canister of either 106 or 206 size.

I discovered that the pieces would all fit together one day when wondering about the modifications needed. The problem would be getting the S200 base (or S206 base or the newer "Clip and Go" S206 Plus base). You might find one someplace like Play It Again Sports (I have seen them there), or from someone like me who has a garage full of them (well, only a couple, and I think I did promise a scout troop I would send them mine as a donation just before my computer crashed and I lost all my emails).

Anyway, a possible solution for the Globe Trotter fans - find an S200 or S206 base. Then you would have the Globe Trotter burner and pots, but still have to carry the canisters separately.

12:04 p.m. on February 28, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Well I've started this post several times now and have yet to finish it. Bill your response is considerably more coherent than my own, but we are basically talking about the same thing. The difference is that your post actually makes sense when one reads it.

I've mounted my globetrotter burner onto my 206 stove body and experimented. It worked, but not well. I had a hard time controlling the flame. Perhaps there is more pressure in the 206 canister compared to a 106 canister and the valve on the globetrotter can't handle the extra pressure. That is just a guess.

One of my UK stove mates has experimented with globetrotter modifications for some time. Here is his latest version.
http://www.spiritburner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6524&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 Scroll down the page and there are photos of his latest setup. Ian has tried a number of ideas, this seems to be the most promising.

I could go on, but I'm going to post this now so I don't accidentally delete this post for the fourth time.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply