Re: Is the Patagonia Grade IV hardshell durable enough to be taken on an Everest expedition?

3:45 a.m. on April 13, 2007 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have a Patagonia Grade VI hardshell. Ever since I bought it I have been in two minds as to how durable this jacket is and what would be its ideal usage. Over the past year, I have leaned to wearing XCR hardshells over the Grade VI, as I think its Paclite quality would be insufficient for extreme cold weather environments.

Is this the sort of hardshell you could comfortably say would deal with the Himalayan climate and more importantly, is it a hardshell you could rely on on an Everest expedition?

Regards
Alex

12:29 p.m. on April 13, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

Patagonia does not show such a jacket in their US catalogs. But companies often name the same thing differently in different countries.

You implied that the jacket is PacLite. I have a couple of PacLite jackets, and will comment based on those. They are not up to Alaska Range or Antarctic climbing expeditions, and I wouldn't even use them for a Cascades climb or even Sierra in the winter. I haven't been (and have no intentions of going) to the Everest circus, and am not likely to go to any part of the Himalaya, so I can't judge the conditions, except from what people tell me and what I read. But if PacLite is not up to the harsher conditions I have been in, I would advise against using a PacLite jacket for Everest.

My experience with PacLite has been that it is ok for rainy conditions in cool weather, but is poor for warmer snow conditions or warm weather rain. It breathes very poorly, for one thing. I have a pair of PacLite pants besides the 2 jackets. They have worked better than the jackets, but are still limited in their range of use. One of the jackets has delaminated in the neck area where the hood and main jacket join, due probably to body oils. So it leaks rain there. It wasn't worn all that much before it started delaminating. It was an earlier version of PacLite, so maybe the more recent versions are better.

I would say stick with the expedition-grade Goretex or, better, eVent fabrics for Everest. What does your guide service have to say?

1:35 a.m. on April 14, 2007 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks for your reply. The Patagonia grade VIis described by Patagonia in their catalogue as' a light shell with mountaineering durability but in minimalist form.The materials used are 2.3oz 3 layer 50 denier ripstop with a H2NBO barrier and DWR repelancy, Composite Seam System, and welded zips. It's just that it is a little light when compared to say Arc'Teryx XCR jackets or a Rab Latok jacket. The jackets were sold in the wintwer of 2006 and were discontinued in winter 2006. They were quite expensive at the time and were selling in the States for $300 plus tax.

Manufacturers, will hve you believe in their brochures that their jackets are sometimews up for the task, but in actual fact they are not or just fall short of it.

9:45 p.m. on May 22, 2007 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
23 forum posts
Re: Is the Patagonia Grade VI hardshell durable enough to be taken on an Everest expedition?

I have the same jacket and find it plenty durable. It's more durable than paclite but not as durable as XCR. Both fabrics are not very breathable and eVent put both of them shame for calling themselves breathable. If you only have the Grade VI and will need to buy a brand new shell then I would just take the Grade VI and let it take the brunt. it's made of 3 layer fabric so it will most likely scrape instead of being torn apart like lesser fabrics.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply