About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Mt. adams tent advice

5:54 p.m. on April 13, 2007 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Hey folks,

I'm normaly a hiker, but last year I did Rainier and now I want more. This summer I'm planning on doing the Mt Adams South Climb Route. I'm guessing my tarp is not sufficient for camping at the lunch counter. I don't have lots of money, and I dont know what kind of tent I need? Can I use a three season tent? Or a bivy sack? Any suggestions for a tent? I may also do Mt. Baker as well. Oh yeah, I'm 6' 4".

10:09 p.m. on April 19, 2007 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
102 forum posts

I've spent a total of at least several weeks camping at elevations between about 5-7,500 during various summers in Cascades, including several nights on snow.

In that region, I wouldn't hesitate to bring a three-season tent considerably higher than elevations I've mentioned. Never encountered anything but pretty benign weather, & always used sleeping bags rated at about 40 degrees, with extra clothes and a good ground mat. A very light bivvy is always good extra insurance.

-------

9:07 p.m. on May 30, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

A three season tent should be just fine in the summer on Mt. Adams. I climbed it in the middle of the summer a few years ago, and the weather was very pleasant.

There are tent sites, with rock walls, just below lunch counter as well.

Happy climbing.

2:16 p.m. on May 31, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Seems like I recall being on that route...

I kinda go with something along these lines. Usually I'd only pony up for a trip to a peak like that with a pretty good forecast. And, if the weather got iffy, I'd be bailing for the car anyhow. So, based on that, you could camp in just about anything for one night.

There are routes on Rainier where I'd want a bit burlier tent. Liberty Ridge camping at Thumb Rock comes to mind, mostly 'cause there's no way I'd want to down climb that shite below there, weather be damned, and I'd stick out a short storm rather than bail down. Bailing up, I'd guess we'd call it.

But, South side of Adams is low committment. You could pop back to the trailhead pretty quickly. Your ascent and descent route are one and the same, usually. Bivy sack or a cheap super light tent would work well. I like the less expensive BD lighthouse style tents, but, they are more spendy than the cheapys at K-mapart. Darn thing weighs only 3lbs or so, and doesn't take up too much space in a day pack.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

2:16 p.m. on May 31, 2007 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Thanks for the advice! I sill havent got a tent yet. I do have a old TNF Slick rock but its supper heavy and has several holes/leaks.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply