Glacier Peak

12:51 p.m. on February 10, 2008 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I want to climb Glacier peak this summer! I'm thinking of going with Mountain Madness. Has anyone gone on a trip with them? Has anyone here climbed glacier peak? Just looking for tips and Ideas.....

BTW here is my video from my trip this summer that you all helped me plan

Mt. adams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR2kufCN2g0

Mt. Baker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmRcCDKt2w

9:47 p.m. on February 10, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Thanks for sharing the videos. Looks like you had great conditions for your climbs!

10:33 a.m. on February 11, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

I climbed Frostbite Ridge back in '93 or so. Pretty straightforward. Beautiful hike in. Neat area.

-Brian in SLC

9:22 p.m. on February 11, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Better views than Adams or Baker, and perhaps even Rainier, because it's less isolated from other peaks. The whole maze of mountains in southern part of Ptarmigan Traverse area is only a few miles to NNE....

Basically, like volcanos in general, all routes on Glacier Pk are apparently a lot of slogging rather than technical, although obviously, it's a mountaineering trip.

Yeah it's a nice place. A relatively long approach. You're somewhat back in the woods...Certainly more than with the other Washington volcanos. Frostbite is reputedly nicest route & only one I climbed as typical novice poseur.

I think it might max out at 45 degrees, maybe 50. We used no anchors but snow happened to be quite soft in most places, which is typical in summer. Getting from crater to summit, may involve a very short step of steeper stuff, depending on season.

Sitkum Glacier route is said to be slightly more standard and slighly less steep, sightly shorter, and potentially somewhat crowded.

It may be possible to avoid glaciers almost entirely on a south-side route. Routes on East side are obviously somewhat inaccessible and I'd guess aren't often climbed. I imagine most of the routes are somewhat similar.

We took four days, but probably lots of people take two days, and a few do it in a day. It obviously depends how much of an ordeal you want to make out of it and your fitness.

I hear Kennedy Hotsprings was destroyed by a landslide. This is highly unfortunate.

10:40 a.m. on February 12, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Kennedy Hot Springs no more? Wow.

Was lukewarm at best when we were there. My dad had fond memories of it, though.

One, if not thee largest wilderness areas in Washington state? The hiking there is a real treat.

I think we were three days or so.

-Brian in SLC

5:35 p.m. on February 12, 2008 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I can't wait!

3:41 p.m. on May 5, 2008 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Great climb!This is one of the nwests more remote volcanoes.Bit of a long hard hike in but well worth the effort.When in my twentys we did this peak in two days,not now.Now at 56years old the last trip to the summit was done over 3 days.My advice is take at least 3 days to truly enjoy the area.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply