About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Tree Climbing

4:36 p.m. on February 17, 2008 (EST)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Is anyone into recreational tree climbing? http://www.treeclimbing.com

I have been doing this for a while now, on my own - kind of a spin-off of rope rescue. Let me tell you, it is a blast to be able to get way up there, safely.

I just joined tree climbers international. I knew arborists have been doing this sort of thing for a long time, but I was super psyched to learn that there was this whole community of recreational tree climbers out there! New horizons! Closer to nature, sights unseen, new technical toys, and another reason to go outside. WOW!

9:18 p.m. on February 18, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I just did my first T (as in tree, duh!) 3 the other day. I found a large hardwood (hard to do in the NC Piedmont sometimes) with perfectly textured sloping "dishes" going up the backside of the sideways growing tree, giving me hard moves on about 60 degree incline. It was sweet!

The site is cool, but I prefer going cordless and will continue to "boulder" any new problems I find while walking my dog.

10:35 p.m. on February 18, 2008 (EST)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Dog on belay with the leash?!!! ;)

4:26 a.m. on March 1, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Topic here for two weeks is tree climbing?!?

Trailspace certainly has its stronger points, but perhaps there is a more active and informed discussion regarding mountaineering on other sites.

9:49 a.m. on March 1, 2008 (EST)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

And... your point is? You know what, why don't you log off here and go check it out for us?

I realize it IS the dead of winter - you must be bored. Some suggestions: Go outside. Take a hike, walk the dog, snowshoe, ski, GO CLIMB A TREE.

Personally, I like Trailspace. I think there is a good mix of topics, and discussions right here. No need to go elsewhere.

12:55 p.m. on March 9, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts
8:37 p.m. on March 9, 2008 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Awesome clip. Kinda puts things in perspective doesn't it. We are just little creatures on this big planet.

Thanks to Fred, for his "Good Laugh" post. That's where I noticed this first. It was on the same page as the Parking Garage video. I posted it on the treeclimbers intl. forum. It got a good response there too.

11:51 a.m. on March 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

I dig tree climbing - but never imagined that there was an organization dedicated to the activity nor ratings! Maple trees were what I cut my teeth on, tulip poplars, with their rather unstable ball/socket branch configuration can be fun to climb, but you've got to be careful on them as the branches can come off in your hand (sort of like a porta-hold when you're rock climbing) damaging the "route" and not doing the climbers body a favor.

So, how long until there's a sanctioning body for tree climbing competition, special training camps and inclusion as an olympic sport???

Go climb a tree!

6:13 p.m. on March 17, 2008 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

There are championships and a sanctioning body:
http://itcc.isa-arbor.com/

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply