Beer Knot

2:34 p.m. on November 16, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I came across this webbing bend a while back and was wondering if any other climbers have tried it. It is similar to a water knot, but once tied, there are no loose tails.

Tie a loose overhand knot in a length of tubular webbing. Slip one end of the webbing INTO the other (about 12 inches)

move the overhand around until it is centered between the ends of the webbing, and set. (pen points to the hidden end of the webbing.)

The nice part about this bend, is that it retains 80% of the strength of the webbing.

3:26 p.m. on November 16, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

That knot has been around for a few years, but under another name. The Frost knot is another webbing knot that retains about 80% of its strength, but is easier to tie (once you learn the little trick).

8:26 p.m. on November 16, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

That's cool.

8:31 p.m. on November 16, 2008 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

If we combine F klock and OGBO's knots we can create a Frosty Beer Knot!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

2:05 p.m. on November 18, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

What was the "beer knot" called, Bill?

Have always heard it referred to by that name...and...used to tie my slings that way.

I don't like it as I can't easily see that I have an acceptable amount of tail coming out of the knot.

For some cord, I've been using a flemish bend...

Cheers,

Brian in SLC

11:21 a.m. on January 25, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I totally agree with Brian. I would hesitate to use it because I can't see the ends. I wouldn't want to confuse it with a water knot that was coming loose - although I leave such long ends it probably wouldn't happen to me - but when it comes to climbing I leave nothing to chance :)

7:04 p.m. on January 27, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

That looks more complicate, probably takes longer to tie, and is not as safe as the water knot. The ability to see the ends of the webbing and to tie safety knots in the ends of the webbing are essential safety features. The reason folks use the water knot with webbing is that it is fairly easy to untie after it has been weighted, and given that you can't see both ends of the webbing with the beer know gives me reservation.

KISS - keep it simple stupid

10:59 a.m. on January 28, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Whilst cool to look at, the beer knot/frost knot is best used as a conversation piece. It leads to a violation of one of the rules of climbing--failure to adequately check all knots, bends, etc. before climbing. That knot cannot be adequately checked, and thus is unsuitable. Just my opinion, of course, and I suppose it's worth what you paid for it. But if someone handed that to me to use in a climb, I'd untie it and replace with a water knot.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply