gloves for belays

4:39 p.m. on January 31, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

This subject may be dead from Oct 09 but Im new on the site

I think its a very valid, crucial issue. I learned the hard way a long time ago that loose gloves of thin outer material are vulnerable to getting caught in the device regardless of the specific synthetic they are made of. I now prefer Hvy duty goretex overmitts with the outer water proof grip coating on the palm. Ones which fit slightly snug with a seperate (warm), glove liner. The mitts I are basically too heavy a material to catch. The warmth issue is solved. Dexterity is only a small problem for me now as I've had practice. It took time. Worth the trouble to have warm hands on belay.

9:23 p.m. on January 31, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I can't seem to find the beginning of this thread, but the only gloves I would wear, and DO wear, for rappelling or belaying would be tight fitting pig skin. You really belay mostly by feel and also you want a material that will allow you to get a positive grip on the rope. Besides rappelling, the main reason for me personally to wear gloves while belaying is because in California there are many sharp thorns that can get caught in the rope while it laying on the ground.

Jim

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply