M10 crampons for alpine routes

5:11 p.m. on September 2, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

i just bought a pair of Charlet Moser M10 crampons. i intend to use them for steep waterfall ice and also technical alpine routes. the reason i chose these crampons was because they are technical and versitile in design.also they are flexible and only the front half of the crampon is rigid like. ie like a 'cake cutter' and the placement of the points make for a relatively safe walking crampon.

i guess my concerns are if they are going to ball up a great deal and weather the flared front points are going to be stable enough in alpine ice and snow.

any first hand experience and advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers mac

11:53 a.m. on September 5, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

they will work but

there are better for alpine snow use. m10 are so heavy and even the semi-ridg frame, does not flex on the toe area and will cookie cut snow like a champ.

sabretooth and 2f are much much lighter even with anti-snow balling plates. i like the sabretooth for plastic boots and 2f for leathers.

but, you got em, climb on!

belay off
john
never summer ice climber

12:40 p.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

There are anti-balling plates available for these crampons. I just bought a pair at MEC in Canada.

2:42 p.m. on January 4, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: they will work but

I founf the anti-ball plates at MEC actually, but I agree about the general cookie-cutter-ness of these crampons.

Glenn

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply