Best Mountaineering Course you have taken

1:24 p.m. on June 24, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,371 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

This Fall-Spring I plan to take an intro-level mountaineering course. I am leaning towards The Mountaineers because I live in Washington (the State), they are well known and I like their prices. I also met a neat instructor from Boealps this Summer and like the looks of their class. Please share your experiences with these or other courses and any recommendations you can provide. I don't plan on climbing anything bigger than maybe Mt Baker or Hood.

Some of you have been very good at answering my mountain-related questions before and I hope you respond. Bonus points will be awarded if you can help me find a course closer to Eastern Washington (God's country).

5:24 p.m. on June 24, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,294 forum posts

The Mountaineers are great. Lots of resources in thier organization. I took some courses with them back in the 1970-80s. Also the Mountaineers are a good resource to tutor under more experienced climbers in the field. Join their organization, and you will have access to bulletin boards where you can hook up with fellow trekkers. Choose wisely (check references) and you can accelerate your learning curve.
Ed

9:16 p.m. on June 24, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Only outdoor organization I ever used that might be considered a course was Boy Scouts/Explorers from 1969 to 1973 in New York state, California and Arkansas. Went to summer camp every summer with Boy Scouts, Jamboree's in the Sierra and Order of the Arrow at Philmont Texas.

1:09 a.m. on June 25, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

American Alpine Institute out of Bellingham, WA is also worth a look:

http://www.aai.cc/

I did a private rock class with them a number of years ago, which was excellent; and their reputation for mountaineering programs is also among the best.

12:22 a.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Hope you have found a good course by now.

I just completed a 12 day course in Alpine Climbing with American Alpine Institute (AAI) . Soon, I will post a trip report along with the pictures. My experience with AAI has been great. They provide several introductory courses and you can check the same on their website.

http://aai.cc/

You can also check my post regarding the mountaineering courses. Trailspace members had provided great inputs on several courses and institutes that helped me choose the course.

Good luck!

- shashi

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply