cho oyu

3:56 p.m. on July 25, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

i just got off the phone with Camp5 about a guided trip to cho oyu next month. their price is a lot cheaper than other companies b/c they only use 1 western guide and a group of sherpas. they like the teams to be more experienced than other guided groups. less cost.

anyone climbed with them before? what do you think about this scenario w/less western guides. 8k cheaper to do it this way. i want to be as safe as possible of course, but don't want to pay for things i don't need.

thanks a lot.

4:42 p.m. on July 25, 2001 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Hmmmm...

Quote:

i just got off the phone with Camp5 about a guided trip to cho oyu next month. their price is a lot cheaper than other companies b/c they only use 1 western guide and a group of sherpas. they like the teams to be more experienced than other guided groups. less cost.
anyone climbed with them before? what do you think about this scenario w/less western guides. 8k cheaper to do it this way. i want to be as safe as possible of course, but don't want to pay for things i don't need.

So...the question is...what do you really need? Do you really need a guide on Cho Oyu?? Or...can you do it on yer own and just use a "service" for the permit and basics?

Who are the guides (or, I guess, who is yer only western guide?)?

Cho Oyu is commonly done thru guided gigs. It may be the cheapest 8k peak out thar. There are even cheaper options...but...will be interesting to see what floats up to the surface here.

Brian in SLC

5:59 p.m. on July 25, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Hmmmm...

Quote:

Quote:

my question i guess is, is it a good idea (safety/fun) to climb it this way rather than paying 16k with another group that will have more western guides. i have climbed denali, s. america...but with guides and i don't want to cut it too short and end up regretting it later. still plenty of sherpa help but maybe not as much good food or something like that. just a cheaper trip i guess.

the guide is a spanish guide by the name Ineyaki or Enyaki. something like that.

any insight would be great. thanks.

Quote:

So...the question is...what do you really need? Do you really need a guide on Cho Oyu?? Or...can you do it on yer own and just use a "service" for the permit and basics?

Who are the guides (or, I guess, who is yer only western guide?)?

Cho Oyu is commonly done thru guided gigs. It may be the cheapest 8k peak out thar. There are even cheaper options...but...will be interesting to see what floats up to the surface here.

Brian in SLC

2:20 p.m. on July 26, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Never been there, so for what it's worth...

As far as technical challenges, Cho Oyu and Shishapagma are supposed to be the least difficult of the 8000 m peaks. Cho Oyu is supposed to have less avy risk. Cho Oyu, however, has the highest starting base camp (~24000 ft ???) so has higher incidence of early trip AMS. I would pick one of these two for my first 8000 m attempt.

Also, most non-guided teams that are formed (especially in the US) are predominantly people who have never climbed together. Resumes are passed around and teams try to squeeze in some training together before going. This doesn't sound a lot different from that... find out who's got what experience.

There ARE things that I would worry about. Communication. If you (or someone else) gets in trouble, can you communicate well enough to survive something hairy in a storm? Medical attention. If you get HAPE (or some severe respiratory problem,) can someone recognize it and put your safety above the goals of the team? Is there a Gamow bag on the mountain? Oxygen? Antibiotics? Antihistamines? Support. Do you have a cook? Does he have a good reputation? I've heard countless horror stories of teams being sick for weeks. Also stories of abondonment and gear disappearing. Safety valve. If the whole team gets in trouble, will there be other teams on the mountain to fall back on? Will you have a radio(s) that you can use to talk to base or another team?

I'd check the major guiding services (Simonson, Robert Link, Mtn Madness) to see who else is on the same side of the mountain as you. Odds are there'll be somebody.

Not that my opinion's worth that much, but if there were some other team on the mountain, I'd be predisposed to go. Worst case is you get the experience of getting in to base camp, you see the mountain, you get some time at very high altitude and see how you do. If you're not comfortable with the team then you suddenly develop AMS and bag it.

Friend, I wish it was me...

7:05 a.m. on July 27, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Are you serious?

If you are still searching for a guide, (or non-guided group) for an 8K climb only a month away I would be worried. Your research and plans should have been made, and finalized, at least 6 months ago. $ should not be the major factor. Experience and a great reputation for safety should be the first thing on anyones list.

Best of luck to you and whatever you do, do it safely.

Quote:

thanks a lot.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply