Kids climbing helmet

10:40 a.m. on January 18, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,204 forum posts

My kids currently use a "multi-sport" helmet for climbing.  We do things like Mt. Adams and some sketchy scrambles with backpacks.  We are going to do more rock work this Summer:

1-18-2011-7-24-09-AM.png

What advantage is there to going for dedicatged  rock-climbing style helmet like this one?

1-18-2011-7-22-33-AM.png

12:01 p.m. on January 18, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

If you look closely that "climbing" helmet is also a bike helmet. So that's it for dedicated. All helmets as you probably know, go through all the same authentification procedure so there all equally safe ( that is here in Canada, but I'd imagine it's the same for the US). Except for the head light clips and the general lightness of weight I dont see much advantage. I've had the same dillema with the helmet I bought for my little brother. (He's 10) I made sure I had something rugged that could do for the multisport activities that we do together. I wanted something that wouldn't break after a few impact so polysterene shell helmets were out. I listened to the same motto I use for myself: sturdiness over the rest and bought an ABS shell helmet with polysterene inside. The one he chose was an all white Bern helmet that can do for skiing, biking, canoeing and after a fashion climbing. Since then, the all white has been painted over to his liking and we had a blast doing it. I plan on buying the same one myself. He complained once or twice about the helmet being hot though, but after tweaking it a bit and a good haircut it wasn't all that bad anymore. That and catching a few rock on the nogging remembered him well thet he better off with it.

Hope it helps.

6:10 p.m. on January 19, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

I like the climbing/cycle helmet..I went to the site to get more info..3 different safty rateings..thats awesome..I think its akso better for the multisport family like yourself..Less money on specialized gear for just one sport..pretty cool..thanks for shareing.

11:03 p.m. on January 19, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

A couple of random helmet thoughts here:

I own many helmets. Rock climbing, skateboard (very different than bike), Mt. biking, road biking, ski, SAR/rescue, fire, and tree work.  Each is expensive, and designed for a specific purpose, and purpose specific injuries, period.

Wisdom: "Buy a $10 helmet for a $10 head."

It has always been my experience that many multi-use items are adequate for each use, but not perfect for any.

Adventure athletes have, for years, been in search of a perfect helmet that would allow them to compete in cycling and climbing segments without changing helmets. the perfect solution really doesn't exist. At least not as far as the powers that be (UIAA/CE or CPSC) are concerned. Kong has one that comes close, but it lacks the testing and (US) paperwork to back it up. the Petzl Picchu looks promising. I wonder, is there is an adult version? Some climbers may be put off by the integrated red flashing LED on the back of that one though.

CAUTION: Painting a helmet, depending on the type of paint may actually weaken the material it is made of. Look at motorsports helmet literature and you'll see that most manus caution strongly against it, and even recommend against certain types of cleaners for the same reason. I prefer to er on the side of safety and purchase a color I like rather than risk compromising the integrity of the material by painting.

The bottom line is, read helmet reviews and check out the research organizations to see how various models measure up in testing.  Try before you buy.  Unless you have previously owned a specific model, avoid buying online or via mail order. Fit is critical.

1:15 p.m. on January 20, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Dont worry about the paint we used the right one. ;-) The Scarab from Kong has CE and UIAA cert. But it lacks the Abs shell I was looking for. 

6:05 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

Kids-Climbing-Helmet.jpg
KIDS CLIMBING HELMET

8:18 p.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

I am no expert, but I have only one head and a different helmet for each sport where warranted. Hey its your kid's head, this is no place to see if you can save a dollar, get a lid tha has been certified by the climbing industry.

Ed

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply