Buying used boots?

4:10 p.m. on February 14, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I am looking at a pair of Mammut Mamook climbing boots used from RMI/Whittaker Mountaineering. 

They were rentals for one season on Rainier. 

Question:  How much wear does one year of rental use at RMI translate into? Nice lady on the phone at Whittaker Mountaineering told me they were in good shape.

They are priced at $165 (retail at $388) so I want to like them.   

10:38 a.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

In any case you gotta try em out. From what I can see of the boot on the net it has a lot of stiching, so make sure there isn't too much wear on them. be sure that the sole is still attached in every place. Take the time to look at the inside and look at the padding see that it isn't too compressed, while your there check for inside for ripped membrane/liner/etc...

It's a synthetic boot and looks very lightweight. Unless the boot was in pure mint conditions, I probably wouldn't buy them second hand. Personnally, such a light weight boot shouldn't be in a rental fleet, unless they are indestructible (it could possible, never tried em...). make sure that the boot fits your need. A bargain is only a bargain if what you're purchasing is right for you. I dont know if you plan on buying them for winter climbing or trekking but if so make sure their hot enough.

10:38 a.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I got the boots.  They don't even feel like they're broke in yet.  There is one small crampon dent on one of the toes (rentals, expected) and a few color scuffs but I would rate these babies at 95%.  Haven't worn them outside yet but things look promising. 

Did I mention the price? Around 60% off retail.  Under $200 for mountaineering boots that are pretty much pristine!  I am very happy.  If you watch their site you can get some pretty decent deals on their rental gear. 

www.whittakermountaineering.com

Here are a couple more examples:

2-18-2011-7-23-26-AM.png

2-18-2011-7-22-35-AM.png

Just another good place to look.

1:30 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Yeah it's incredibly affordable, thanks for the info!

Good for you if they are in that good of a shape, especially for such a deal. have you put em to the test yet? Mammut boot are hard to find in Canada and nobody that I know has tried them. If you ever feel like writing a review let yourself loose! ;-)

8:27 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I also bought these boots from Whittaker Mountaineering and am very happy with the purchase.  Great condition for the price.  They still have plenty of miles left in them.  I was a little worried that the boots may not fit but they will be more than happy to swap them out for another size if they have it.  Luckily the people I talked to recommended the right size and there was no return necessary.  I will definitely be watching their used gear sales later this year.  

9:22 a.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

After we go up Mt. Adams this Summer I will deffinately post my review.  I have a few other new pieces of gear that will be getting tested this Summer too so I will be posting a few of them. 

I hate to sound like a shill for Whittaker (I'm not) but I was really impressed with their prices.  They are geographically close too so shipping was 2 days. 

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply