About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Different styles for different body types

8:14 a.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I've been noticing for the past couple of weeks that I'm starting to develop my "style" of climbing. A lot of my choices in climbing seem to be based on the fact that I'm short (for a guy) and also kind of stocky.  I was just curious to see what observations everybody has about climbing styles being related to body types.

10:01 a.m. on June 6, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

I (average height) deffinately have to climb differently than my kids (average 10 and 12 yr olds).  I can reach stuff they can't.  I also like doing a step through to traverse where they will switch feet on a hold. I also have stronger calves so I like to use leg strength way more than arms by keeping my hips as close to the rock as possible.  I was told once that I climb like a girl.  Oh well. 

1:06 a.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

As far as ice climbing is concerned in Canada I see a lot more guys than girls, and those guys are kinda burly in the most case. In rock climbing I've found that sport climbers are usually very athletic. But that seems to be the case in climbing in general. Other than that I cant say...

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply