About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

France: Six mountaineers die in Alps avalanche

4:34 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts
9:24 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Ernest Hemingway was correct -- There are but FOUR (4) true "sports" ....   Mountain climbing ... motor-racing .... skydiving .... bull-fighting.   All the rest are "games".

Why?

Because you can DIE.   That makes it "SPORT".

No solace to the victims here.   Sad.

~r2~

9:36 a.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

Slightly ammended but always a good quote.

6:09 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah.  I believe Hemingway originally included THREE  (did not list skydiving), and he was somewhat conflicted about bull-fighting.

Not sure how authentic these attributions and quotes really are.

~r2~

10:17 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

i would have to say american football is on the cusp of sport and game. the force that the extremely large men use to throttle each other around the field is ridiculous, and deaths could most certainly happen if any of us here tried playing it with the big boys.

3:00 a.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

I have experienced the dubious pleasure of sharing the golf fairways with sportsmen of such "skill" that Hemingway might be temped to expand his list.

Ed

6:55 a.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

iClimb said:

i would have to say american football is on the cusp of sport and game. the force that the extremely large men use to throttle each other around the field is ridiculous, and deaths could most certainly happen if any of us here tried playing it with the big boys.

These guys are freaks of nature.   Probably, some "un-natural" supplements, along the way, too.

Ever notice a few years after they retire, how BIG ( "fat" ) they become?

~r2~

9:49 a.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

Though Hemingway isn't known to be the actual author the point is, I think, that its a "sport" if you run a good risk of dying from the exertion, such as in bull fighting, mtn climbing, motor sports etc.  I am sure that skydiving would have made the cut had it existed then and if the man had tried it.  No one calls these activities "games." 

I'm considering having a shirt made with that quote on it as we speak.

2:54 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Sorry to hear about the deaths-the Alps along the French and Northern Italien border can be quite treacherous. They were quite brave and adventurous group.

Whomeworry, I agree, I worked at a golf course in my younger years at an Air Force golf course over here. There is nothing worse than drunk golfers. The worst was when the American Air Force competed with British Air Force-You would think the revolutionary war was over-NOT!

I find it ironic that Hemingway made a quote about sport when he couldn't handle the greatest life or death sport- LIFE.

3:13 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Though Hemingway isn't known to be the actual author the point is, I think, that its a "sport" if you run a good risk of dying from the exertion, such as in bull fighting, mtn climbing, motor sports etc.  I am sure that skydiving would have made the cut had it existed then and if the man had tried it.  No one calls these activities "games." 

I'm considering having a shirt made with that quote on it as we speak.

Go in business with your idea.

You can go online and sell dozens, probably.   Just make sure the fabric is "technical", ... it weighs less than 1 oz and the UL-community endorses it, ... compresses down to fit into a thimble, ...  repels body-odor, ... can be used as a make-shift shelter in an emergency with a dozen guy-outs, ... and  is "bomber".    All for about $10 apiece.

I'll be your 1st customer.

~r2~

5:23 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

Yes Robert, then people will buy them at REI and wear them around Seattle and to work but NEVER in the mountains! LOL

Don't forget it has to be 100% post-consumer recycled material, hemp oil infused, organic, vegan, free-range and free trade. 

10:59 a.m. on June 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Yes Robert, then people will buy them at REI and wear them around Seattle and to work but NEVER in the mountains! LOL

Don't forget it has to be 100% post-consumer recycled material, hemp oil infused, organic, vegan, free-range and free trade. 

We should work together on this "project".

Given the variables in material we both are championing ... just think of the possibilities.

~r2~

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply