Stretching Rock Shoes

1:52 p.m. on July 6, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. bpowell

Besides throwing them away and getting a new pair, what can be done to stretch rock shoes. Ive already tried soaking in hot water and wearing them until dry but its not enough. They are fine for one pitch sport routes but too painful to wear on multipitch routes. Ill try anything, cause if I cant somehow stretch them, theyre headed for the scrap bin.

Thanks in advance.

1:21 a.m. on July 8, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Regular shoe trees

12:26 p.m. on July 9, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Dont give up hope

Go to your local cobler. They usually have these shoe tree like devices with screws made specifically to stretch shoes.

Unless you wear them almost daily, the H2O method will cause them to shrink up again.

If the cobbler stretch isnt an option. Wear them while in front of the tv daily. If you arent putting weight on your feet, they contract a bit with the flex of your arch, so it shouldnt be too painfull. Do this till you can walk around in them.

If none of this works, try ebay to get rid of them.

matt s

10:18 p.m. on July 9, 2001 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts
Re: Dont give up hope

Good advice. I did the cobbler thing with a pair of mine (Sportiva Mistrals).

I intentionally bought them tight for one pitch sport and gym use, since I have other shoes for the all day stuff, but unfortunately, they didn't stretch even as much as I'd anticipated in the first few weeks' use. Ouch. (Do other people also have trouble predicting the amount of stretch with their first pair of a new model, or am I just a nitwit?)

Anyway, after a week on the shoe trees at the cobbler, they now fit pretty much the way I'd hoped.

Worth a try.

7:37 p.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Dont give up hope

Quote:

Good advice. I did the cobbler thing with a pair of mine (Sportiva Mistrals).

I intentionally bought them tight for one pitch sport and gym use, since I have other shoes for the all day stuff, but unfortunately, they didn't stretch even as much as I'd anticipated in the first few weeks' use.

Me too. Mistrals don't stretch much at all because of the synthetic material used. Maybe I'll try the cobbler tack.

Bill

11:11 a.m. on July 30, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

THANKS ALL

Got them stretched at the cobbler and use shoe trees to keep them that way. This makes about a one inch difference.

Thanks for the advice.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply