barefoot / minimilist climbing?

10:24 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

This is more of a random question/observation from a combination of taking a break while at the local climbing gym and thinking about barefoot and minimal shoe hiking.  I've noticed that in the midst of taking a break either myself, or somebody else, might show somebody the starting of a route without worrying about putting our climbing shoes on ... maybe using sandals or bare feet.

So this got me to wondering if the movement in hiking/backpacking circles to go towards minimalist footwear (or none at all) could crossover into climbing. I don't know if anybody else has wondered this, but I'm interested in seeing what others think.

11:15 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

ANYTHING goes ....   Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Why stop with footwear?    Underwear?    Why not climb totally nude?   Let's all get MINIMAListic.

Oh, and what about the ubiquitous hat?

Although, you're probably thinking I am "snarky", I am merely presenting a rhetorical question.       

~r2~

12:43 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Barefoot climbing has probably always been around.  It gained a brief, limited, following in the 1960s among the hippy come rock jocks that populated Camp 4 in Yosemite Valley.  Foot jams and other techniques discourage barefoot climbing, however, as most would rather sacrifice the additional control barefooting may offer, in order to avoid turning the un-callused aspects of our feet into hamburger.  I have seen some resurgence among boulderers in Joshua Tree NP, but I suspect this fad lacks the legs to gain momentum.  As for minimalist footwear, a well fitting rock slipper is pretty darn minimalist IMO.

Ed

7:49 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

whomeworry said:

As for minimalist footwear, a well fitting rock slipper is pretty darn minimalist IMO.

Ed

BINGO !

I was going to add something of a similar comment in my post.

They're like rubberized ballet slippers.

~r2~

9:36 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,329 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

I belay NO naked guys! I think I need that on a shirt. 

But seriously,

I doubt one could climb beyond about 5.8 sin shoes.  In the days before sticky climbing shoes (I read this, I wasn't there-too young) the limit to rock climbing was about 5.9.

10:19 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

ANYTHING goes ....   Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Why stop with footwear?    Underwear?    Why not climb totally nude?   Let's all get MINIMAListic.

Oh, and what about the ubiquitous hat?

Although, you're probably thinking I am "snarky", I am merely presenting a rhetorical question.       

~r2~

now lets not get crazy who in their right mind would hike or climb without their hat!!!

11:18 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

You're right, KLUTZYCHICK.

I've known guys for 20 years ... and, I don't ever recall seeing them without their hats.

Must have BAD-looking or de-formed heads.

I remember going out to eat with several couples, at a nice, up-scale restaurant.   One guy ... that I don't think I had ever seen without a hat ... was wearing his hat, as usual.

Finally, (thank Goodness!), a manager came over and asked him to remove his hat.   He was very embarrassed.

Sure enough!   Was as bald as an egg.   So what?  He must have had a complex, or something.   Personality disorder.

~r2~

6:03 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

I have met quite a few over the years that climb in just their bare feet. I met a hiker once in the Grand canyon who during rainstorms would take everything off except for his boots and hat, said "his skin was waterproof, so why wear rainwear?"

Have you tried the new FiveFinger sandals by Vibram? I have a pair and use them for hiking when I am not carrying much gear. I just think the soles could be a little thicker. I wear insoles and it helps when stepping on pebbles and small stones/rocks against my feet.

7:15 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
3,329 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

I hope that now that it is in style to have a shiny shaved dome that guys will get over their shyness at going bald.  Its not like its their fault or anything.

And don't get me started about the comb-overs!

9:19 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

I have met quite a few over the years that climb in just their bare feet. I met a hiker once in the Grand canyon who during rainstorms would take everything off except for his boots and hat, said "his skin was waterproof, so why wear rainwear?"

Have you tried the new FiveFinger sandals by Vibram? I have a pair and use them for hiking when I am not carrying much gear. I just think the soles could be a little thicker. I wear insoles and it helps when stepping on pebbles and small stones/rocks against my feet.

Maybe Vibram could put out a FiveFinger climbing shoe?

9:25 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

You're right, KLUTZYCHICK.

I've known guys for 20 years ... and, I don't ever recall seeing them without their hats.

Must have BAD-looking or de-formed heads.

I remember going out to eat with several couples, at a nice, up-scale restaurant.   One guy ... that I don't think I had ever seen without a hat ... was wearing his hat, as usual.

Finally, (thank Goodness!), a manager came over and asked him to remove his hat.   He was very embarrassed.

Sure enough!   Was as bald as an egg.   So what?  He must have had a complex, or something.   Personality disorder.

~r2~

That's funny.  I started shaving my head when I noticed my hair line receding ... figured if I'm going to go bald, it might as well be on my terms. :-)

10:28 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

quite possible that he was anxious and embarrassed over his balding, not really possible at all to be a personality disorder.

I think it says more about our society and judgmental views than it does about the individual who has to suffer through those views.

the climbing naked thing just gave me some very bad images of my father in law...

11:17 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

I hope that now that it is in style to have a shiny shaved dome that guys will get over their shyness at going bald.  Its not like its their fault or anything.

Isn't it cool when bald guys let the last ten hairs they have on the back of their heads grow out to form some kind of pony-tail ?

Women MUST be ecstatic !

~r2~

6:57 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Funny how most of the experts on this topic happen to not be bald (shaved heads are contrived and as such do not speak for naturally bald men).  Bruce Willis makes it look classy, but personally I think that whole Vin Desiel bald bad boy look is a corny facade. 

Pertaining to wearing hats, your opinions are all good, a gentleman should remove his hat while indoors.  But there are plenty reasons having nothing to do with looks why I wear a hat over my bare head.  Chrome domes and sun is a bad combo.  Also it is dismaying how easy one's scalp cuts when accidentally bumped, so I'll also wear a cap in any situation where such bumps may occur - house chores, presence of overhead obstructions, etc.  Maybe it is just me but I also find rain on my bare scalp very distracting, like Chinese water torture.  And lastly I miss what little warmth hair provides. 

Personally I think I look better bald.  When I had hair I had two kinds of hair days: bad hair days and hat days. Going bald was the best thing that happened to my looks!

Yea, lots of us bald dudes wear a hat for reasons that have nothing to do with our looks. 

Ed

11:04 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yul Brynner was cool.   Telly Savalas, NOT.

Have you seen Jesse Ventura, lately?

~r2~

10:12 a.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

either way natural or shaved bald guy are hot!

anyway wearing a hat is just a good idea like whomeworry said and not just for the hair challanged  sunburn on the scalp hurts and it help protect your eyes.

12:07 p.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

"BALD" is preferable to "BAD HAIR".

Here's a pop-culture stereotype for you:

What do you think of when you hear about  ... "Old, fat guys, with BAD HAIR, facial-hair, and tattoos"     ???

Answer:   Guys that own and ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

~r2~

5:32 p.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Going back to topic;-), I would love to try merrell's minimalist running shoe in climbing. They already fit like a rock shoe, the sole is vivram, and there stiff if taken smaller. Cant wait to try it out.

9:38 a.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
3,329 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

Almost makes me want to shave my head. 

But ya never know how you will look bald until you do it.  I'm scared of what may be hiding under my hair. 

1:08 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Almost makes me want to shave my head. 

But ya never know how you will look bald until you do it.  I'm scared of what may be hiding under my hair. 

Wait around long enough, and you'll find out.

Genetic statistics indicate males lose 1% of their hair from birth, on an annual basis.

In-other-words, at age 50 ... you will have lost 50% of the hair you had at birth.

You'll be 100% bald at age 100.

I'm looking forward to it.

~r2~

3:25 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

..at age 50 ... you will have lost 50% of the hair you had at birth...

I lost most of mine before age thirty.  (Actually I lost none of it, they just moved to my eyebrows and nostrils :@ )  What remained started turning white prematurely too.  I must be aging in dog years. 

They say you can tell much about a man by his pate.  Men bald on the front are thinkers; those bald in the back are lovers, and those bald in both places think they are lovers!

Ed

1:33 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
51 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Anyway, in response to the original question.

Minimalism is taken very seriously in the climbing community. Most recently this has come up since many climbers are going for speed ascents where speed and efficiency are the most important goal when they climb. Having the minimal amount of weight holding you down will allow you to climb harder, faster, and more efficiently.  Although, footwear is not the best comparison since climbing shoes are already very minimal and their use is specifically geared toward helping your feet grip the rock better and protecting your skin from being torn by any sharp rock.

I actually like the idea of going nude, especially after googling "stonenudes".

As long as you are outside anything goes, but in a gym keep your shoes ON.

5:02 p.m. on August 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

I met a hiker once in the Grand canyon who during rainstorms would take everything off except for his boots and hat, said "his skin was waterproof, so why wear rainwear?"

It seems this would make sense for creek crossings involving wading too ... why get the clothes wet? :)

5:31 p.m. on August 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Robert Rowe said:

..at age 50 ... you will have lost 50% of the hair you had at birth...

I lost most of mine before age thirty.   ,,, Actually I lost none of it, they just moved to my eyebrows  ... :@ ) 

Ed

I was thinking about this ... and wanted you offer a suggestion, Ed.

As you probably trim your eyebrows (?) ... perhaps, you could just let them grow out ... and comb them back over your head ....

I hope this suggestion is helpful ....

~r2~

10:25 a.m. on August 15, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

HAHAHA awesome.

I can totally picture Ed with an eyebrow comb over!

10:28 a.m. on August 15, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

interesting thing someone told me once...any time you have hair someplace on your body that never grows beyond a certain length, it is actually considered fur. Hair, by definition (according to this person) doesn't stop growing.

So awkwardly, pubic hair becomes pubic fur, eyebrow's become fur, legs and armpits become furry...

4:47 p.m. on August 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
458 reviewer rep
668 forum posts

CoyotePacker said:

Maybe Vibram could put out a FiveFinger climbing shoe?

Dip your feet in liquid rubber and let it dry...

9:59 p.m. on August 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

iClimb said:

HAHAHA awesome.

I can totally picture Ed with an eyebrow comb over!

Don't laugh, you day may come, young man!

combover.jpg

Ed

10:01 p.m. on August 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

BigRed said:

Dip your feet in liquid rubber and let it dry...

The Aztecs did something simular to this.

Ed

8:41 a.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Ed, what happened to that killer rack of buggy lights on your ex-frame??

;)

6:08 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

gonzan said:

Ed, what happened to that killer rack of buggy lights on your ex-frame??

;)

They were scorching my comb over.

Ed

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply