and now more from Half Dome

4:09 p.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
9:04 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

I just got back from El Capitan and Halfdome, the old sneak to bypass the HD permits is a no-go.

Yosemite conditions were great, and everyone at Vernal/Nevada Falls were on their best behaviour too-

Just a horrible year I suppose?

9:15 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah, apparently there were around 17 this year(1 was a car wreck.) More than usual. Bad thing is the year isn't over yet.

The sad thing is I am almost certain quite a few of these could have been avoided.

If you hit the link below they speak in reference to people wading just feet away from fast moving water etc. Lack of common sense seems to be in over abundant this year.

The day after I started my last hike at Ohiopyle there was a drowning up there. I see so many people take really foolish risks. It just doesn't make sense to me at all... You would like to think that people would learn from others mistakes/misfortunes but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hopefully in the coming weeks when I head up there for my next "longer" trip I won't have to hear about another incident from the locals I know. 

9:24 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

I might have a theory.....................

The weather was basically a balmy 86F, water was in abundance (every intermittent stream all the way to El Capitan was running, no kidding) and the campground seemed to be at capacity on the weekends, and close to it Tues-Thurs.

Maybe because we had such perfect weather, more folks decided to hit the "trails" rather than languish in the campgrounds? I witnessed some truly funny (acting/dressed) individuals last week at Yosemite, and one guy hailing from Bakersfield, California (had to ask, way too funny) seemed to be just fine as long as he didn't have too much blood in his alcohol system.

10:44 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

One of the many reasons I do not get into the whole alcohol thing in risky areas. I blame it on the heat. 

9:57 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,371 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

Driving cars is still more dangerous.

10:00 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,294 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Call me a brick, but compared to what?

Ed

12:36 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

whomeworry said:

FromSagetoSnow said:

Call me a brick, but compared to what?

Ed

Walking in between lanes on the DC beltway or hand feeding Great Whites....

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply