Hi-Tec Pará Boot combines rain boot with hiker

10:43 p.m. on January 23, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Hi-Tec Pará Boot combines rain boot with hiker"

Alien stormtrooper boot? Galosh? The Hi-Tec Pará Boot has both of these disparate species in its gene pool.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/01/23/hi-tec-para-boot.html

1:23 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rubber?   EVA?    $125?

What are these people thinking?   Perhaps, they need someone on "the board" with experience with these materials over the course of many years &/or many miles of use.

I (for one), will pass.

~ r2 ~

2:28 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well its nice to see Mickey Mouse now has color choices.... Sorry I had too.

I think for trudging around the slop from a winter melt, mud, or rain these would probably perform just fine. 

I am not too sure on the whole hiking thing with these due to the minimal amount of toggle hooks/eyelets. I am left wondering how secure/dialed in one could get the fit.

I would be willing  to give them a whirl.

I personally think that they should have made the footbeds from wood, the uppers from Ventile, oh and lets 86 all of the rubber for cast iron.... Hmmmm...

3:07 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I hear 'Ya, Rick.

Next up -- The Martha Stewart Designer Series, in chartreuse and pink.

BTW -- L.L.Bean is having their 100th Anniversary.   Bargains, galore.

I have several / many pairs of their "Bean Boots", which are probably in the same category as these, by Hi-Tec.   They DO keep your feet dry from water on the outside ... BUT (like these by Hi-Tech will do), your feet will sweat -- guarenteed (they are mostly rubber -- d'uh ... d'oh).

The solution?  (trust me on this) ...  Buy one-half to one full size larger, and toss the original footbed.   Get a few pairs of LaCrosse felt footbeds, always found in angler's stores (used in bottoms of their waders).  Like $5 per pair.  The thicker, the better.  When your feet are getting sweaty (and, they will), switch-out the felt liners, or turn them over, and reverse them --left to right shoe / boot.   Take 'em out to dry thoroughly when resting, or hang the damp set from your pack's daisy-chain with clips, while continuing your hike.

I have tried VBL socks, too.   Not always nessa;  I like thick wool socks. 

About ONE-HALF the cost of these, by Hi-Tec.   AND, you won't be mistaken for an overgrown kid on Miss Nancy's Romper Room Field Day.

~ r2 ~

6:22 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

They remind me of some wading boots I had as a kid. Not quite as much tread on mine and mine went farther up the leg.

8:22 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I think they would have been better off with a rubber bottom and a breathable waterproof upper, more like a Maine Hunting Shoe. For limited applications they might be OK, but moisture retention in the boot is going to be an issue.  

9:49 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Erich said:

but moisture retention in the boot is going to be an issue.  

+1

7:55 a.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

These look perfect for kids, to bad they aren't made any smaller. It never ceases to amaze me the ability of my two boys to find every form of standing water there is, and then stand in it. They also look pretty dang easy to lace up as well.

9:55 a.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Biking? Really. Me thinks not.

8:53 a.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

giftogab - certainly not in vegas (I'll be there today!), but for most winter riding in the northeast, a waterproof boot is a great choice.  In the weather I often ride in, there isn't a clip-in shoe that is warm enough, and it's not quite cold enough for a mountaineering boot! 

9:04 a.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,054 forum posts

I'll add that snowbiking has really taken off here in Maine in the past couple years (as Seth himself already knows).

9:35 a.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

These look like they'd be perfect for short-term work at our wildlife/nature center. "Duckies" aren't needed all the time, but when it's snowy, muddy, slushy, etc. something other than lace-up hikers is a must. I've tried "Muck" boots and those cheap chain store rubber/vinyl farm boots. The former being just as expensive as the Para' Boots and too difficult to put on and take off, the latter being just what they are, cheap - and COLD! It appears these would offer far better traction, warmth, and durability than the other options as well as a more comfort on short school group hikes!

Looks like a set of DueNorth creepers would work well too, when we get one of those great NEPA ice storms!

2:07 p.m. on January 28, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

mono specific boot

10:17 p.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I think these are supposed to be better looking galoshes. But, not for hiking, surely.

7:50 p.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'll give a pair a try caving. Looks pretty good for a wet cave!

7:03 a.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Me think they would make good ocean fishing deck boots.

Ed

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply