Crescent Moon calls its Black Kilo snowshoe a "complete carbon fiber solution”

8:00 a.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Crescent Moon calls its Black Kilo snowshoe a "complete carbon fiber solution”"

When Crescent Moon launches its carbon fiber Black Kilo snowshoe next winter, not only will it be the lightest on the market at 2.2 pounds per pair, it could herald a new direction in snowshoe design, says Jake Thamm, company president and co-founder.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/02/09/crescent-moon-black-kilo-carbon-fiber.html

8:36 a.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Crescent Moon has a racing snowshoe that requires you to bolt a pair of running shoes to the snowshoe. Will you be able to wear any kind of shoe with the Black Kilo and avoid having to use a special mounting system?

8:49 a.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

philipwerner said:

Crescent Moon has a racing snowshoe that requires you to bolt a pair of running shoes to the snowshoe. Will you be able to wear any kind of shoe with the Black Kilo and avoid having to use a special mounting system?

Good question, Philip. Yes, the Black Kilo has bindings and those are included in the weight.

Crescent Moon, and a number of other snowshoe companies that make racing shoes, offer direct mount systems on some models. In Crescent Moon's case the Gold 12 running snowshoe you're thinking of is offered with either bindings or the direct mount option.

But to answer your original question, the Black Kilo has a binding.

If the shoe works out, I wouldn't be surprised to see a direct mount version later (that's just my own conjecture though).

9:11 a.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Now they just need carbon fiber crampons...

Ok, on second thought maybe not.

9:48 a.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

Pretty cool but pricey.  Don't hit a rock either.  They shaved quite a bit of weight off too.

12:19 p.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

The light weight sounds good.  My Atlas 1235's are rated at 4.6 lbs, over twice the weight of these (but they're also 10 inches longer)...

6:23 p.m. on February 15, 2012 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I love Carbon Fiber

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply