Honey Stinger brings chocolate to Stinger Waffles

8:42 a.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,990 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Honey Stinger brings chocolate to Stinger Waffles"

What made me pull a 180 in the crowded, gear overloaded halls of Outdoor Retailer in January? A chocolate Honey Stinger Waffle wrapper. The new flavor comes out this week.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/03/12/honey-stinger-waffle.html

2:11 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is making me quite hungry for waffles for some odd reason. I am definitely interested in these for trail consumption. 

The price seems fair as well(I think that's comparable to what I pay for one of those "super sized" Snickers bars.)

2:34 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

and then pancakes

3:19 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

OMG! Chocolate Stingers!

I love Stingers! Even if you pay no attention to their nutrietional value they are awesome trail snacks. I like the Vanilla, but Chocolate is a drug for me so I think I have a new fav.  2 cases please.

3:36 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,067 forum posts

From the recipe, sounds like one could make up the mix themselves. I make my own soups from scratch then after I find the mix that works best, I mix em up dry and put them in Ziploc bags to use on the trail.

3:46 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,990 forum posts

I admit that I went and ate a vanilla one after I wrote this blog, with the excuse that it was for my tempo run.

I need to order a few chocolate ones to see how they fare in comparison. For some reason the strawberry does not appeal to me, but I think lemon could be good.

I promise to write an actual review with pros and cons (they can crumble and the package can be a little hard to open). I'll probably wait till I've tested the chocolate version first though.

Gary, I was also thinking that some people could try to make their own, just like with trail mix or bars. If you try it and make something similar, let us know how it works.

3:49 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,990 forum posts

azrhino said:

OMG! Chocolate Stingers!

That was pretty much my reaction when I walked by and saw the wrapper, only to learn they didn't actually exist to sample yet.

3:49 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

I promise to write an actual review with pros and cons (they can crumble and the package can be a little hard to open). I'll probably wait till I've tested the chocolate version first though.

We're holding you too it. ;)

4:50 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Remember a good product review requires extensive testing. I'm thinking atleast a dozen or so must be eatin to really get a good idea about them  :)

4:53 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

azrhino said:

Remember a good product review requires extensive testing. I'm thinking atleast a dozen or so must be eatin to really get a good idea about them  :)

So if I sit on the couch and eat a dozen of them I can get at the review?

:p

6:37 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,990 forum posts

I almost wrote the review today, then realized how short-sighted that was when I could/should be eating more waffles of various flavors (like chocolate) in the name of a good comparative review.

So, it's really in the best interest of the community for me to eat more of them first.

10:56 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

May have to add some of these on my way out of the country for the trek!

11:48 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

And no fear of arsenic toxicity- I now view Stingers more favorably than the rice syrup energy foods.

11:50 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

oh well nevermind I just read the ingredients list. sigh.

5:00 a.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Amazing how you can add chocolate to things and it is nearly always an improvement (it's like a natural law or something).

If these are the 'dutch waffles' that europeans put on top of their coffee to warm up, then they are becoming more popular over here as well. They were originally being imported to the UK, from De Rit, by wholefoods distributors but now there is a place in Wales doing them, even the miniature ones.

Of the De Rit brand, the hazelnut flavour is the best, methinks, followed by the honey ones. The ones made of sugar syrup have always been popular with vegans. I never thought 'slow release' honey would catch on as an energy snack. Like the Panda Bar liquorice, they are a great alternative to pure sugar but they tend to freeze outdoors in the winter.

I am going to have some coffee and a honey waffle now, in honour of this thread.

7:01 a.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,990 forum posts

Pathloser said:

Amazing how you can add chocolate to things and it is nearly always an improvement (it's like a natural law or something).

Very, very true. Hopefully true in this case as well.

Pathloser said:

I am going to have some coffee and a honey waffle now, in honour of this thread.

I wonder how many people ate (or wished they could eat) a waffle after reading this.

8:42 a.m. on March 22, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
5 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Stroop Waffle Dessert Recipe

I dreamt this up the other day while looking at Lance's face on the package. I can get Stroop Waffles at a local shop somewhat cheaper than the Honey Stingers.

Ingredients

Stroop Waffle

Vanilla Ice Cream

Apple

Cinnamon

Heat the Stroop Waffle in a bowl in the microwave for 30 secs or so.

Peel the apple and chop into bits (do this first)

Put chopped apple on warm Stroop Waffle

Sprinkle with Cinnamon

! scoop vanilla ice cream on top

Sprinkle again with cinnamon

EAT and enjoy!

I can only imagine how good this would be with a chocloate Stroop.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply