Salewa Snow Trainer puts cotton-Kevlar in sole

6:00 a.m. on March 19, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,994 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Salewa Snow Trainer puts cotton-Kevlar in sole"

Cotton kills, right? So, what's Salewa doing putting cotton in a snowshoe mountaineering boot? Relax. The small amount of cotton in the Snow Trainer Insulated GTX is in the bottom of its Vibram Icefriction outsole.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/03/19/salewa-snow-trainer-insulated.html

11:50 p.m. on March 19, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

this is maybe trying a little too hard ?????????

1:32 a.m. on March 23, 2012 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I think I've seen this sole on some Lowa footwear. An old model of Nabucco. The one on there website seems to use something similar, Exclusive sole???

6:36 a.m. on March 23, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,994 forum posts

Louis-Alexis, Salewa's literature calls it:

a new Vibram sole, exclusively designed for SALEWA, that delivers unbeatable traction.

Lowa's description of its Nabucco GTX Mid says:

LOWA’s exclusive new G3 sole unit with supination/pronation support and PU midsole provides maximum grip on snow and ice.

I looked in their 2011 catalog to learn that you're right (good catch!). The G3 sole is quite similar. Both soles use textiles in a similar fashion, though Lowa doesn't say which textiles:

Laboratory tests, carried out in line with EN standards, have shown that combining different types of rubber with textile materials can increase grip on different terrain underfoot by up to 32%. The stud arrangement follows the natural line of the ergonomic foot motion. A minimum of one stud is in contact at all times during the roll-off motion.

Salewa's is a Vibram sole and includes aluminum flakes, as a differentiation point.

But, you're right that Lowa had the concept beforehand. Thanks for sharing that.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply