Test Backcountry Gear with Trailspace's Review Corps

7:00 a.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Test Backcountry Gear with Trailspace's Review Corps"

If you've ever wondered about other outdoor gear testing and review programs, meet Trailspace's Review Corps and find out what it takes to become a member.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/06/29/review-corps-program.html

12:13 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Hmmm. Gotta work on that.

7:16 p.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

this sounds great.

12:38 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Well, I've written several reviews but none of them labeled "killer" by the staff. (As a retired English teacher I'm wounded, I tell you, wounded!)

Lessee... sea kayaker, former ACA Moving Water Canoeing instructor, 10 years as a Nordic ski patroller including the '79 World Cup and '80 Olympics, Finished 2 day, 100 mile Canadian Ski Marathon,  lightweight backpacker, cyclist, US Army ROTC cadet winter survival instructor, tall ship sailor (US Brig Niagara).

Currently Sierra Club Nevada Outings Chair/certified outings leader and LVSSR Mountain Patrol Ski Patroller (Las Vegas) W/ Avalanche 1 and Mountain Travel and Rescue 1 certifications.

Will that do for qualifications? Oh, yes, my wife is an excellent proofreader.

And P.S. Professional trail builder on the 9 mile Snow Creek section of the Pacific Crest Trail,1980. (One mountain north of Palm Springs, CA)

7:46 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

300winmag said:

Well, I've written several reviews but none of them labeled "killer" by the staff. (As a retired English teacher I'm wounded, I tell you, wounded!) 

Those are excellent qualifications, 300winmag!

Here are the qualifications for a Killer Review:
http://www.trailspace.com/about/killer-reviews.html

Reviews that meet the criteria are automatically given the label. We don't subjectively judge and award them.

The biggest pieces are:

• being complete (an appropriate length, though they don't need to be overly long) with a summary, pros, cons, and body;
  • having a certain number of helpful votes by the community;
  • including original pictures or video

The one piece most often missed is the images. There are a number of reviews by community members that just need the addition of an image to make them Killer (hint hint, folks).

Hope that info helps!

5:07 p.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Yep, I know I need photos of the gear I've reviewed. I may add some for a few of my past reviews, like my Tarptent Moment.

8:40 p.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

300winmag said:

Yep, I know I need photos of the gear I've reviewed. I may add some for a few of my past reviews, like my Tarptent Moment.

An excellent idea!

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply