Outdoor Retailer: Backcountry Camp Gear Preview

1:22 p.m. on July 28, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Backcountry Camp Gear Preview"

From stoves to shelters to headlamps, new equipment promises to make your backcountry campsite warmer, lighter, safer, and more comfortable. Here are a few highlights that make their debuts at Outdoor Retailer next week.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/07/28/or-preview-backcountry-camp.html

7:06 p.m. on July 28, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

There are some great new products there.

11:38 p.m. on July 28, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That is a nice looking axe. Wish there was an msrp released for it. I may actually be interested in that item.

That would be a great way to increase my packweight. :p

9:32 p.m. on July 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

It does look like a nice ax.  Hopefully it won't have "Les Stroud" stamped all over it.

9:38 p.m. on July 29, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Sorry, no MSRP or specs on the Wetterlings axe yet. Apparently Stroud is doing final testing now. There should be a prototype at OR this week. I'd expect it to look quite similar to what you see above.

Here's what Stroud says in a release:

In his own words, Les explains, “The legendary reputation of Swedish axes has never been lost on me. I have used them through all of my adventures and travels in the wilderness. So when I was asked to design a beautiful, hand made wooden axe with Wetterlings, I jumped at the chance. It’s an opportunity to create my own legacy by joining an already existing great legacy. Wetterlings has made it easy to design an axe that reflects my ideals of craftsmanship, aesthetics and functionality.”

10:33 p.m. on July 29, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

I've had the opportunity to examine the knives he helped design in conjunction with Helle. Beautiful knives, well thought out and no excessive branding. It does seem to me that he isn't in these partnerships to promote himself, at least I hope. Really nice guy, I met him at my favourite Thai food restaurant once, quite down to earth.

10:35 p.m. on July 29, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

http://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/store/helle-temagami-knife.html

-Sorry forgot to post link, knife is here if you want to see it.

10:24 a.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
136 forum posts

Therma rest looks so warm, I want one.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply