Gluten-Free Energy Bars for Outdoor Athletes

11:26 a.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,995 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Gluten-Free Energy Bars for Outdoor Athletes"

Outdoor athletes with gluten sensitivities needn't look far to find gluten-free energy and protein bars. Whether you go GF by choice or lifelong necessity, here are some options to fuel your outdoor activities.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/09/17/gluten-free-energy-protein-bars.html

12:53 p.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

I am 100% gluten-free, albeit not by choice.  My intolerance was such that I had to have surgery to remove some of my small intestine due to scar tissue formation.  As for flavor: Kind bars are hard to beat.  In terms of caloric wallop: Larabar makes a Cashew Cookie that is pretty tasty and has something like 230 calories in it.  That said, I have only had energy bars from those two companies.  I have found that gluten-free bars offer a suitable alternative to their counterparts in taste and texture; in fact, I think that most gluten-free products are pretty good approximations - with the exception of beer.  Now that is sad.  Still waiting on a solid double IPA showing for us GFers.

1:04 p.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,995 forum posts

Thanks for sharing that, ghost.

I am not gluten-free (more like gluten-full) and agree that Kind bars are quite good. I like that you can see the ingredients you're eating too.

I've had several of the other bars above too. A few I'd happily eat:

• Bonk Breakers are very tasty and soft, like something you might bake at home (I recommend). 
  • I like Honey Stinger's protein bars quite a lot, but they pack a huge number of calories, so I have to ration them. They started offering 10g (half size versions), which is nice.
  • I had some NOW bar samples while hiking after the summer Outdoor Retailer show and really liked them. I actually looked on their site to see if I could buy some near me (no luck, though they do sell online).
  • Fruition is good, and it's nice to have a fruity bar, plus something a bit lower calorie, as an option.
1:07 p.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,995 forum posts

After we published this article, ProBar offered this one-time discount on Fruition bars to all Trailspace readers.

If you go to http://theprobar.com/shop and enter code “BLOGGER” at checkout, you’ll get 40% off your first Fruition bar order.

12:00 a.m. on September 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

If you like cranberries the tanka bar has no gluten. Its bison and cranberries minimally processed into a bar. The spicy one is better if yiu arent big on cranberries. Its not real spicy, just has a much fuller flavor.

10:08 a.m. on September 19, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

I am digging the Kits Organic bars lately.  If you know me well you know that this is a significant event for this organic-shy guy. 

Here is my review:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/clif/kits-organic-fruit-nut/#review25636

The cashew ones are even better (to me) than the berry ones pictured, although I am working on my 2nd box of the berry ones.  Maybe I shoudnt have bought two boxes of the same type. Next time...

Jeff

2:05 p.m. on September 29, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

There is a Gluten free bakery near where I live and they have the best cinnamon buns that I have ever had.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply