What New Gear Do You Want Reviewed?

9:34 a.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "What New Gear Do You Want Reviewed?"

What noteworthy outdoor gear do you want to see independently tested and reviewed here at Trailspace? Suggest promising, new-for-2013, backcountry equipment and apparel you'd like our Review Corps to field test.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/10/29/tell-us-what-gear-to-review.html

5:00 p.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I'd like to see someone review the Emberlit Stove. It was a Valentine's day gift from last year that I only got to use once before getting caught up in relocating to PA and life in general. As far as I can tell it burns like a dream but it's my first camping stove and I honestly don't know what to look for in a good stove. 

10:38 p.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
BRAND REP
319 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I want to see reviews of the new DriDown, DownTek, and other water repellent down pieces. I'm wondering if the treatments affect the natural performance of the down and also if the long-term durability of the treatments are as claimed by the manufacturers. That may be further down the road as more people adopt the technology.

2:12 p.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello all,

I've been backpacking for 25-years.   I have always used a tent but, thinking about going to a hammock.    I'm looking at the Clark NX-150 Jungle, any suggestions?

Thanks

11:37 p.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

I agree with seeing some hammock testing.

7:22 a.m. on November 2, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
782 reviewer rep
1,323 forum posts

@ Sebasian,

I'm a Review Corp Member and I'll have a review ready to post of a Downtek sleeping bag hopefully by next week. I've been testing it for a while now.

10:13 a.m. on November 2, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Thanks for all the comments so far. This type of feedback is always helpful and welcomed.

@PeanutEcho, thanks for bringing the Emberlit to our attention. At your suggestion, I've added a brand page and started product pages for the Emberlit on Trailspace: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/emberlit/ 

I hope others will offer more feedback on it too.

@Sebastian, we agree that there's a lot of interest in the many hydrophobic down bags and jackets coming out. As Patman mentioned, we've got them on our radar too. Thanks!

@The Thinker and Rob, thanks for the hammock feedback. We'll be sure to give more consideration to those testing opportunities going forward too.

@The Thinker, we have some user reviews of the Clark Jungle hammocks here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/clark/

You can also ask for specific gear advice in our Gear Selection forum.

4:58 p.m. on November 2, 2012 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Hello Alicia

If possible I would like to see the new Altra packs from Arcteryx reviewed (your site links almost exclusively to a photo). They have apparently changed the suspension and the zip design and we are holding off upgrading our heavy Bora packs until they prove worth it. Or even a comparison with the new Black Diamond pivoting suspension?

Also, the new single skin tents from Rab are interesting, and I imagine one day the problem of condensation might just be 'fixed' with such designs used lower and warmer than present?

All the best, Jon.

7:43 p.m. on November 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Would like to see some reviews on Salomon Synapse Mid CS Pro hiking shoes. These shoes are  now available and carry 2 yr warranty compared to the 1 yr warranty on regular Synapse shoes. Looking for a solid mid hiking shoe that is light weight and non-goretex so they will dry out quicker if they get wet. The Merrell Moab's don't fit me well and the Keen Alimosa shoes I had for only 100 miles are tearing up. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

9:01 p.m. on November 2, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Hello Alicia

Also, the new single skin tents from Rab are interesting, and I imagine one day the problem of condensation might just be 'fixed' with such designs used lower and warmer than present?

All the best, Jon.

I believe the "new" Rab tents are Integral Designs tents. Rab bought Integral about a year ago, with most of Integral's products now bearing the Rab label. Look through the discussions here on Trailspace and you will find that many of us have and really like our ID gear - tents, bivies, jackets, etc etc. Evan still runs tthe Integral operations in Calgary, though they fall under the Rab Colorado offices.

Rab has dropped several of my personal Integral Designs products. OTOH, my son has some Rab gear and finds it top quality.

9:17 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

How about this new raingear for the review list? http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/07/26/rab-westcomb-event-dvl.html

It almost sounds "too good to be true" ... lightweight, breathable ... AND keeps you dry?  Really?

10:46 a.m. on November 7, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Thanks for the continued feedback, everyone.

@pathloser, thanks for the suggestions. You're right that there are new, updated Arc'teryx Altra packs coming out in 2013 (FYI, current volumes are 62L65L,75L). The Black Diamond pivot suspension is interesting too. We'll keep both of those in mind.

Bill is correct that Rab bought Integral Designs in 2010 (Rab's parent company also owns Lowe Alpine). I'll have to check to see how ID shelters were incorporated and/or updated into the Rab line.

@rebeldawg63, the Salomon Synapse Mid CS Pro looks interesting. I've just made sure we have its product page up for user reviews, and I sent out a tweet to our Twitter followers requesting feedback in a review from anyone who's used it yet.

@bheiser, yes. Very interesting, I agree. we're looking into the Westcomb Focus LT Hoody.

8:48 p.m. on November 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I hate having cold feet while trying to enjoy winter activities. 

Someone told me about thermacell heated insoles foot warmers. Three power settings, from 'off' to high temp to keep feet warm.

What else is there to keeping feet warm? I've tried most everything and willing to try more.

Thanks!

4:00 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Kuiu is coming out with some new boots. A heavy mountaineering type and a somewhat lighter backpacking boot. Kuiu designed them and Zamberlain constructed them. I would like to see reviews of these boots when possible. Thanks, Realbuff

5:01 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Ordered a pair from here giantnerd.com/salomon-synapse-mid-cs-pro-men at a pretty good discount and rec'd shoes in 5 days. Worth mentioning is they can be had around $100 this weekend "BLACK" code takes off an extra 10 percent!

Have not gone out on the trail yet but just wearing around town seems like a very good fit. I have purchased several Salomon shoes and these seem to feel a slight bit snugger in the toe box but I have fixed that by tightening the laces differently when pulling them from the top only. They have great traction and comfortable ride. First impressions are very positive and will post a review later after testing.

9:04 p.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Here's an update on the Rab and Integral Designs shelters integration, straight from Rab:

Currently, there is identical product sold under both the Integral Designs and Rab names. Once the new/updated products hit stores next Feb, they will be titled “Integral Designs by Rab” and then in future seasons SS-14 and beyond, the products will just be called Rab. At that time, the Integral Designs name will completely disappear.

You can still find product under the ID name, but that will begin to change next February. Of course, some retailers may continue to sell older ID product in their inventory.

You may still be able to find a few of the Rab Summit SuperLite Bivis or Rab Summit Mountain Bivis. Although those shelters will be replaced with the Integral Designs by Rab product as of February.

5:27 p.m. on November 14, 2012 (EST)
306 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Greetings all,

I would like to see a review of Aclima Woolnet Underwear. They may be hard to find in North America, but are quite common in Europe, particularly Scandinavian countries where they are made. I have tried practically every baselayer out there with varying degrees of disappointment, but have found Aclima to be the best, so far, for my particular need, which usually involves extreme cold.

1:50 a.m. on November 15, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I'm not completely sure of the release date but I would really like to see a review of the Westcomb Focus LT Hoody when it hits the shelves.  Curious to see if a jacket advertised that light has any sort of durability

8:42 a.m. on November 15, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good suggestion Tulley, to add to the lightweight/durability subject when it comes to jackets how about Mountain Hardwear's new Ghost Whisperer which claims to be the lightest full feature down jacket anywhere?

12:30 p.m. on November 15, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

to take Rick's point a little further, how about a comparison test of lightweight down jackets? we could add the feathered friends helios, the western mountaineering flight jacket, marmot's zeus jacket.....

12:40 p.m. on November 15, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@leadbelly- I like where this is going. "A goose down smack down."

5:28 p.m. on November 15, 2012 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,098 forum posts

@leadbelly and Rick. Like the idea of compairing all those jackets because of winter kit is what I am working on....

6:24 p.m. on November 15, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions. We'll consider them all.

-Alicia

9:46 p.m. on November 15, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

I nominate the Golite Bitteroot hooded down jacket. Pertex Quantum GL, 150gram 850 fillpower, 13 oz, plus Golite's unique direct business pricing model. Is the direct online model mean a better value relative to performance and price of competitors?

9:00 a.m. on November 16, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Since there's a lot interest in the new water-resistant down technology, I wanted to highlight two of the newest Review Corps reviews for hydrophobic down sleeping bags:

Also, if you're ever curious, you can see the running list of published Review Corps reviews on the righthand side of the Review Corps info page.

@Tulley, we're also looking into a review of the Westcomb Focus LT Hoody. Thanks!

10:04 a.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

I will be providing 2 reviews in the near future. One is a full video review as well as a write up about the High Peak Enduro 4 season tent and it's capabilities. I bought this tent for $75 brand new, and find that most of High Peak's prices are well below more well established competitors.

The second will be given after black Friday when I have had the chance for one more use of some new boots I got. As people know from my frequent rantings about good deals, I always want to find brands that are cheap prices, but still give great products. At a Marshall's department store I recently stumbled across a boot company I'd never heard of before. Khombu. Supposedly they are the official boot for the USA Olympic Ski Team, and the brand's tag claims that they were initially designed for comfortable use in the Khombu ice fall. They were only $35 - for hiking boots that claim to be rated for -20F, that's dang cheap.

I've used them once, and will use them again this friday, which should give a good enough initial first impression.

5:37 p.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Bigfoot7 said:

I hate having cold feet while trying to enjoy winter activities. 

Basic chemical toes warmers work fairly well, although since they rely on oxygen to work, you have to be careful your boots aren't laced too tightly.

I have a pair of ThermoSoles, with the battery in the sole, which I've used a few times. Self regulating using a computer chip to conserve power. They've worked well so far. Just haven't got enough to do a good review on them. Keep your eyes open for it.

1:06 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks Peter. I'd heard about those and wanted to see how they did in real world before investing in some. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your review.

12:39 a.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

@ Rick - Pittsburgh  Oooh I love the idea of : "A goose down smack down."

Could include Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, Marmot Quasar, and the similar jackets from Patagonia, Montbell, Feathered Friends etc

1:42 a.m. on December 6, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

hello all!

please review and test in the real world.... the Blue "InReach" by delorme... in particular Bluetooth connectivity, disconnect and reconnect with Evo4g?!

did all the updates... got pissed off by "tech support"

so I returned it to REI... good as gold!

still I got SCREWED by the yearly subscription service!

I wrote a scathing report some time ago... but now am wondering if maybe I might have been a little harsh? truthful but harsh!

would really like to hear other peoples thoughts.

last week {Thanksgiving!} it might have been nice to have when transmission blew up. in my own backyard... {Sheep mountains Las Vegas Nv} 44 miles from highway,@ 6000`

it would have been nice to comfort my wife....to let her know that we were semi prepared{one full backpack, food, water etc...} and hiking home... no cellular reception...cold night in the truck... hiked 10/44 miles... getting ready for second cold night when LVMPD SAR found us! so VERY THANKFUL ! 

The realization that we may never see our truck and gear again, as we walk away... tow bills, impounds etc... and it will be a couple days hiking out!

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply