Trailspace Top Ten: Your Best Outdoor Gear

8:00 a.m. on December 5, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,991 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Trailspace Top Ten: Your Best Outdoor Gear"

For Trailspace's Best Outdoor Gear List, we turned to you, our community members. We've compiled one ultimate gear list from your 24,000 reviews, featuring your best shelter, sleeping bag, stove, water treatment, multi-tool, light, navigation, trekking poles, backpack, and food and drink.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/12/05/trailspace-top-ten-best-outdoor-gear.html

12:13 p.m. on December 6, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

I am not a gearhead, but that is a good, practical  list.  I would draw the line before titanium sporks which is a good example of an outdoor frill that people are convinced they need.  A Sierra Club cup, and a pair of whittled chopsticks works for almost everything.  An old spoon is handy at times.

3:40 p.m. on December 7, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
828 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Surprised Nalgene did not make the list.  Cups are redundant if you carry a 1L jar it replaces the cup, and also serves as a reliable bag warmer too, just fill it up with hot water and put it in your sleeping bag.  If you are using a Nalgene, then it wont leak. 

Why is everyone so fixated on the multi-tool thing?  Those things are heavy.  I have hiked solo on trips for over 3o years and always did fine with just a folding knife.  I used to carry a nice Victorinox Champ, but that was overkill.  A nice ultralite, well made single blade folding  knife of any reputable brand should serve all but the most rigorous demands.  I carry a 15 dollar Schrade something or other model with a tough Zytel handle that weighs about 2 ounces and features a 2.75 inch blade. 

The gravity filter is the bees knees.  I carry a sawyer and will never pump again.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soleful2001/7324669414/in/set-72157630018807070/

1:38 p.m. on December 15, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
871 forum posts

Certainly a good list. Not, of course, and ultimate. No mention of the Silva Ranger, my compass of choice because of adjustable declination. And the titanium spork? I agree it is lightweight. I carry an MSR stainless spoon with wrenches in the handle. I recently tried to buy another at REI and they only carry the titanium version. I watched someone try to use the latter on a trip and the wrench part twisted while trying to remove a jet. I'll stick with the stainless.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply