Outdoor Innovators Speak

2:35 a.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Innovators Speak"

Outdoor Retailer always promises unique innovations — and plenty enthusiastic product designers, brand managers, and PR reps eager to show them off. Here are just a few of them, in their own words.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2013/08/02/outdoor-innovators-speak.html

10:12 a.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

The River Gecko is getting into some very specialized territory, but with the growth of kayaking, they just might have a good market for their new line. 

Not the kind of thing that most people would buy for strolling around town in, though. 

10:24 a.m. on August 3, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,165 forum posts

Lots of people get excited by innovation in outdoor products. We used to have the Outdoor Retailers Show in Reno and I attended a few times. It is confusing to me because the outdoor experience has always been about simplicity.

It is liberating to have some products that perform familiar functions with less weight.  Dehydrated food still has a long way to improve. I am opposed to the elctronic revolution in the outdoors. Being unplugged is one of the main attractions of going "out there."

11:49 a.m. on August 4, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmm, the Eureka pad uses basically the same internal pump set-up that my Exped Downmat 7 utilizes. 

The Eureka is a tad lighter lighter but I also suspect that it doesn't have nearly the R-value that my DM7 has @ 5.9. 

Might be a nice 3 season option(late spring thru early fall.)

How nice of an option is dependent upon price of course but being Eureka is a fairly wallet friendly company I would think that it won't be too pricey when compared to other options out there. 

I do find the LazerBrite light intriguing. 

8:04 p.m. on August 4, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I'm not sure specifically what kind of boating the Gecko is designed for. Is it SOT's or a closed boats. For the latter, everyone I know uses a foot brace, and most use the Yakima pegs. As the pegs are narrow, I can see some potential for the spikes interfering with good grip on the pegs. For SOTs these might just be the ticket, especially with the popularity of SOTs. However, for C-1s and sea kayaks, I see that the peg system would inhibit their use. Do you have any feedback on this, Dave?

10:16 p.m. on August 4, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

While we didn't discuss it explicitly, my impression was that they had whitewater and play boats in mind when designing this shoe. 

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply