Fuel Cells, Titanium Frames, and Waterproof Sleeping Bags

1:18 a.m. on August 3, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,056 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Fuel Cells, Titanium Frames, and Waterproof Sleeping Bags"

PowerTrekk turns water into electricity. Vargo revives the external frame pack with titanium. Montane makes a totally waterproof sleeping bag. Day three of Outdoor Retailer was a parade of technological innovation.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2013/08/03/or-day-3-fuel-cells-titanium-frames-and-waterproof-sleeping-bags.html

3:31 p.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,056 forum posts

I was personally very excited about the titanium external frame pack.  I'm going to attempt to talk my friend Ed into one!

10:25 p.m. on August 23, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Plug Power fuel cells can be used to power the refrigeration units in trucks hauling,fruits and vegetable and other goods that must be kept chilled or frozen during transport from distribution centers to retailers.

5:43 p.m. on August 25, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

I wish new gear was cheaper.  300 bucks for a new pack is definitely out of my price range.  Hopefully they'll be on steepandcheap in 2 years.

2:21 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
368 forum posts

I'm with Seth...an external pack under 2 pounds sounds wonderful! I've been eyeing some of the day-packs with the new tension-fabric frames...as the allure of a dry back and a comfortable carry is too much to resist...but so far I think this has come at too high a cost it terms of capacity and ease of packing and unpacking (the internal spaces of those packs just seem problematic).

Vargo might really be on to something here! I really love the arc bag design...a clever way to maintain ease of packing and unpacking while eliminating one of the long dis-liked aspects of old Kelty-type externals....the bulky corners! Hope to read some reviews on this soon.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply