Meet Joel: Backpacker, Researcher, Reviewer of the Month

7:00 a.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
848 reviewer rep
3,788 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Meet Joel: Backpacker, Researcher, Reviewer of the Month"

Congratulations to Joel in Georgia, a backpacker, father, market researcher, and our Reviewer of the Month! He wins a 10 Essentials prize pack worth $350+ for his contributions.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2017/03/31/reviewer-of-the-month-jringeorgia.html

7:17 a.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,274 reviewer rep
816 forum posts

Congrats Joel - well deserved!

7:18 a.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
2,274 reviewer rep
816 forum posts

PS. I remember well when Who Shot JR was the question of the day...and happened to live in Atlanta at that time too...small world.

12:50 p.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
11,098 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Congratulations!

As a kidney stone sufferer, I can tell you one of my scariest thoughts is being out on the trail or deep in a cave and have a kidney stone. I'm impressed with your fortitude to keep going (of course, what's the alternative?).

1:14 p.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,963 reviewer rep
1,998 forum posts

Congrats JR, thanks for the interview, enjoyed it!

7:52 p.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,427 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

G00SE said:

As a kidney stone sufferer...I'm impressed with your fortitude to keep going (of course, what's the alternative?).

Exactly. If this had happened at home there's no way I could have found the resolve to push through what I did. But all alone 10 miles from help, something 'clicked' in my brain to push the immediate suffering to the far corners of my mind. When at some level you realize you're in an actual survival situation I guess adrenaline and the lizard brain kick in and you focus on only one thing...avoiding that "alternative."

10:11 p.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

Congratulations JR sorry about you kidney stones had those myself. Keep at it man you will find away to lose that 1.75

11:17 p.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
1,370 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Congratulations Joel and loved you're shot of the Domes of Mount Starr King.

9:31 a.m. on April 1, 2017 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,763 forum posts

Congrats and thank you for the reviews...

10:54 a.m. on April 9, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,679 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Congratulations JR!

3:53 a.m. on May 13, 2017 (EDT)
358 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Good kidney stone story!

8:23 a.m. on May 13, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,847 forum posts

Totally agree about umbrellas in the BC.  It is a totally optional piece of gear, yet only my boots see more hours of use, such is its utility.  It is like hiking in the shade of a mobile porch.  I also use it to enhance trad rain gear effectiveness, allowing me to unhood, unzip and obtain far better ventilation.  Alas carrying a pack in rain will earn you sweat or wet no matter the measures taken.  I also use the umbrella to facilitate dry entry/exist of my shelter.  As a stove wind screen.. ..I can envision so many scenarios when my friends or I end up torching the parasol with the stove!  But it does a fair job as a photographer's dish reflector when hyperextended.

As for stones in the BC - you got True Grit, pilgrim!

Ed 

September 23, 2017
Quick Reply