About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hiking Icon Colin Fletcher Dies at 85

8:45 p.m. on June 16, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,918 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Hiking Icon Colin Fletcher Dies at 85"

From the June 16, 2007, Los Angeles Times: Colin Fletcher, who was considered the father of modern backpacking for his lyrical and practical writings on hiking, including The Complete Walker and The Man Who Walked Through Time, books that inspired generations to journey into the wilderness, died Tuesday in Monterey, Calif. He was 85. Fletcher, who was hit by a car as he crossed a rural road near h...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2007/06/16/hiking-icon-colin-fletcher-dies-at-85.html

8:37 p.m. on June 19, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

One of my heroes, and a great loss. I met him once briefly, no more, really, than shaking hands, exchanging names, and saying I had enjoyed the 3 of his books I had read (1000-mile Summer, Walk through Time, Complete Walker early edition). Unfortunately, I didn't have any of them in hand to get autographed (this was on the trail in a place to meet him that had been pre-announced).

12:23 a.m. on June 21, 2007 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Great writer. Influenced this guy for sure. During my reading of The Compleat Walker, I went straight thru his other works. He could light the fires of a reader's imagination.

1:26 a.m. on June 21, 2007 (EDT)
11 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Colon Fletcher had a style of writing that expressed his feelings about being in the wilderness so most everyone could understand. For all the details of gear minutely reported on in his books, he never lost sight of the wonder and enjoyment self sufficiency simple nature could provide him. I too read those three books, and also "The man in the Cave" (Colon's favorite, I'm told). We will miss him. Times have changed for me now. Also the spirit of backpacking is no longer so new and the gear technology has exploded to the point of overwhelming. The time was right when he wrote of his independence in the wilderness. He was appreciated my many.

4:20 p.m. on June 21, 2007 (EDT)
213 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Aside from my Dad––who wouldn't let me go on any solo-trips––which only encouraged me more––there was Mr. Fletcher, who's book I idolized, along with Jean craighead goerge's MY SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN . . . these two books made me dream of mountain adventures and many years later, with six john muir trails under my feet and other holy moments in the sierra, I'll be thinking of you, Colin, when I reach that next pass.

9:52 p.m. on June 22, 2007 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Mr.Fletcher's Complete Walker served as my backpacking bible during my high school years in the early 70's. The principles and practices of lightweight backcountry travel that he expounded gave a new beginning to low-impact camping. Colin upheld and advocated very important and needed ethics to sustain our wild landscapes.
I later read his Walk through Time and loved it.
I believe that Colin's ideas were very consistent with the early explorers Tilman and Shipton. I would also guess that his writing of the Grand Canyon and the Colorado Plateau influenced Edward Abbey.
I am truly saddened to hear that his passing was precipitated by the automobile, how terrible for someone who made walking as appealing as great poetry!

4:50 p.m. on July 2, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Colin Fletcher was my "Moses"! With scant intro
from Cub Scouts and Marine Corps, upon reading his "Compleat" led me to my complete "gear-up" and
subsequent 20+ yrs. of blissful camping and hiking. Every one should know this great man's wilderness philosophy, and I recommend all his work as great reads! He is missed!

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply