Would You Like the Regular or Irregular Bag?

10:54 a.m. on August 20, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Would You Like the Regular or Irregular Bag?"

If a company makes two versions, with the same exact name, of say, a 20° sleeping bag, and one version is called a women’s model, then shouldn’t the other one be called a men’s model? Not a “regular,” which implies some sort of irregularity with women and their gear? I see this fairly frequently with packs, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads from some major outdoor ...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2007/08/20/regular-irregular-gear.html

11:45 a.m. on August 20, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Agreed. Irregular to me sounds like an off-color or blemished product that I would get some kind of bargain on!

9:18 a.m. on August 22, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Hey, following that logic, maybe I can get a deal the next time I buy a women's sleeping bag!

10:10 p.m. on September 19, 2007 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Marketing things as "women's" equipment is just that - marketing. By claiming that products are designed for a certain sex, manufacturers must design for an average or stereotype of the end user. The problem with this is that stereotypes are wrong as much as they are right. Not all women are shorter, and bigger hipped than all men. I know some women who are tall and beefy and some guys that are short and slender.

I feel the better way to do this is to offer different sizes. Rather than a women's and men's bags, how about something creative like small, med, and large. They could even offer a plus size bag for Americans or red necks that is really large in the middle.

3:28 p.m. on October 3, 2007 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

At the risk of getting flamed, I have noticed that some women appreciate the women’s tag on gear and especially on websites. They don't have to weed through pages and pages of burly man stuff. Much of the woman labeled gear is, hmm, approaching danger zone here, "pretty". By that I mean it is a style or color that most men would not be caught out on the trail wearing or using. Just my take.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply