Jetboil Introduces World’s First Liquid-Injected Butane Fuel Cooking System

8:48 p.m. on January 9, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
0 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Jetboil Introduces World’s First Liquid-Injected Butane Fuel Cooking System"

Jetboil is proud to announce the new Helios series group cooking system, the world’s first liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) injected cooking system, for Spring 2008.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2008/01/09/jetboil-helios-lpg-injected-cooking-system.html

1:57 a.m. on January 10, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

They say new MSR system has them beaten already, which I'm quite willing to believe, purely based on personal prejudice.

But the whole concept, it might be argued, is simply overkill for most people who aren't interested in a hanging stove.

4:19 p.m. on January 10, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Hmmmm, I guess they aren't counting the Coleman X-canister stoves, or Coleman's stand for holding the standard canisters upside down, or those of us who have been using the inverted canister trick for a number of years. The main thing for the inverted canister systems and Coleman's X-canister system is that you really need a generator section to the fuel line. Primus multifuel stoves that accept the compressed gas canisters, and the Coleman X stoves and the ones they recommend using their inverted canister stand for have that setup. The X stoves have a fuel pickup line inside the canister that always lies in the liquified portion of the fuel, hence feeds the liquified butane/propane mixture.

I will have to look at the system to see if there is anything different.

4:56 p.m. on January 10, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

You'll have to wait to see the Helios, Bill. Jetboil will not be at Outdoor Retailer's winter show this month. They're skipping it so they can "fully support the launch of the Helios system."

I suspect they want to fully devote themselves to getting the finished stove out on time as promised, rather than having any delays like MSR suffered with its Reactor last year.

They've had this stove in the works for a while. As far back as a year ago I heard something new was expected from them, but they cautiously did not preview anything before they were ready.

As soon as I have the product image and specs I'll share that info.

6:18 p.m. on January 10, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

JetBoil doesn't have anything on their website about the Helios. I will note, though, that the MSR Reactor does not use "liquid injection" - the stovetop is screwed directly onto the top of the canister, so it is fed by the vapors, as in traditional compressed butane mix stoves. But I am glad that the engineer/developer folks seem to have prevailed over the marketeers. Still, making an early announcement might cause a few people to put off a stove purchase until the Helios is actually available - which is the point of early announcements.

Back to Africa - only 1500 images to go

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply