Building a Better Water Bottle: Aluminum, Steel, and No BPA

12:01 a.m. on February 1, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Building a Better Water Bottle: Aluminum, Steel, and No BPA"

Whether it’s for a trek into the backcountry or a trip to the store, there are a growing number of aluminum, stainless steel, and BPA-free plastic water bottles.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/building-a-better-water-bottle.html

3:21 p.m. on February 22, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts
re: Building a better water bottle...

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/guide/building-a-better-water-bottle.html

Here's an interesting "Something I found."

After reading the article above, doing much research, and finally deciding on stainless bottles from Guyot Designs, I was informed that "due to popular demand, the bottles would not be available to the public for about a month." That month turned into a full 3 months until I got my two stainless steel full-size water bottles - at a special pre-sale price of $19.95. Regular price was listed as $24.95.

Here's the interesting part:

While scanning the camping section of my local Cabala's this week, I spotted a couple of Guyot Designs bottles on the shelf right next to the usual selection of Nalgene and Camelbak bottles. As I investigated more closely, I saw a Nalgene logo on the Guyot bottles! The Guyot logo was there too, but much smaller, and less prominent. Price? $21.95. With a little more online research, I found them for, sure enough, $19.95. (the pre-sale price)

Kinda made me wonder just how many bottles Nalgene reserved/bought to make the direct-to-public supply, from Guyot designs, so short. It's also interesting to me because I'm sure MANY of the stainless bottles were sold, by Goyot Designs, because of the Nalgene bpa issue in the first place.

Just another thing to make me say Hmmmm...

Don't get me wrong, I really, really like the Guyot Designs bottles. I use them everyday - at home, at work, on the trail (including SAR missions), at the the gym, everywhere. All the things they say in the ads are true. Filters and lids that fit Nalgene bottles also fit these very well. And, they are strong! I also fitted both of my bottles with CamelBak Big Bite Valve bottle caps. The bite-valve and straw make using any bottle a dream.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply