Outdoor Retailer: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir

2:50 a.m. on August 9, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir"

Three decades ago Therm-a-Rest rethought the air mattress, adding foam and creating the self-inflating, insulated sleeping pad. Now they’ve rethought the concept again and come up with another novel approach to adding warmth to an air mattress. The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir utilizes a reflective barrier embedded in the middle of a 2.5-inch thick air mattress. Heat from the sleeping user is reflec...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2008/08/09/therm-a-rest-neoair.html

12:16 a.m. on August 13, 2008 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

You can't deflect cold back down. Cold isn't a thing. It's the absence of heat. DOH! No offense intended.

Al

2:05 a.m. on August 13, 2008 (EDT)
104 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Al, can't you see the little blue arrows in the illustration? Clearly, the cold is being deflected.

Little blue arrows trump your so-called "science."

8:34 a.m. on August 13, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Little blue arrows... "science". LMAO. And here I thought the red arrows were a symbol proving what ever you say bounces off and sticks to you?

9:11 a.m. on August 13, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Al, thanks for pointing out a very sloppy piece of writing (and utter lack of thinking). I've updated the original post to bring it back within the bounds of physics.

12:16 p.m. on August 14, 2008 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Dave, what sizes do the pads pack down to? As a hammock camper this pad slipped into a segmented pad extender may be the one pad solution if insulating & radiant system is more than hype. Being able to leave home the ocf, ccf & space blanket reducing couple ounces and a lot of volume would be nice.

1:05 p.m. on August 14, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

The Therm-a-rest new product info says:

"The ultralight, compact air mattress packs to the size of a one liter bottle."

5:43 p.m. on August 15, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

They pack down pretty small. They had one packed down to a little smaller than a Nalgene, but I'm not sure which size mattress that was. I'll see if I can get some specs for you...

9:25 a.m. on August 19, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Here are the official packed sizes for the NeoAir:

Small - 9 x 3.3 inches
Med - 9 x 4 inches
Reg - 9 x 4 inches
Large - 11 x 4.5 inches

The medium technically packs about 10% smaller than the regular, but they use the same size packaging.

10:36 a.m. on August 19, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts
5:14 p.m. on October 2, 2008 (EDT)
(Guest)

I presume that without a foam core these are not going to be self inflating? Back to the days of kneeling red-faced and faint in the tent doorway?

I still want one though!

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply