Backcountry Water Treatment Part 1: Proper Hydration

2:53 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Backcountry Water Treatment Part 1: Proper Hydration"

Stay sufficiently hydrated while hiking, backpacking, or climbing to avoid dehydration's dangerous effects and a ruined trip.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/backcountry-water-treatment-part-1-hydration.html

4:36 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thank you for the information, hydration is very important!
Reading articles like this one serves as a good reminder for us to stay aware of our hydration level while we are out exerting ourselves.
Sometimes it is tempting to skip an opportunity to fill up on water when you are making good time and you are in a hurry.

8:33 p.m. on November 23, 2008 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts
Re: Backcountry Water Treatment Part 1:

While on a multi-day hike, I noticed blood in my urine. Doctors later investigated and found kidney stones. Main cause of stones: dehydration. I had to cancel another hike because of the stones. As a rule I carry two liters and drink one liter when come to a stream before refilling my water bottle. In winter cold or at altitudes, it is easy to become dehydrated, so drink up! During hikes when drinking out of a tube connected to a water supply in your pack, I have used to be surprised at how little water I was actually drinking. I often thought I was drinking a lot when actually I was not. Check the water levels in you hidden bottles during your hike to keep track of how much you are drinking..

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply