2008 Outdoor Recreation Participation Report

10:34 a.m. on January 14, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
848 reviewer rep
3,890 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "2008 Outdoor Recreation Participation Report"

The Outdoor Foundation recently released its 2008 Outdoor Recreation Participation Report, the largest survey of its type examining participation in sports and outdoor activities. There’s some good news (overall participation rose) and bad news (participation for kids continues to fall) inside. Participation at a Glance: Overall, participation in outdoor activities increased in 2007 to 50....

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/01/14/outdoor-recreation-participation-report.html

2:50 p.m. on January 15, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Thanks for this Alicia. I sent a link to the story, and a copy of the report to all of my colleagues in the EE field. I plan to use the report as a recruiting tool for my Eco-Venture! Club.

Eco-Venture! Club

CCEEC’s newest club is a fun, exciting, and educational club for boys and girls ages 11 through 15. Each month will bring a new activity, trip, or exciting adventure. Most will be outdoors. All will be loaded with fun. Hiking, climbing, wilderness survival, snowshoeing, even whitewater rafting! If you like nature and the outdoors, then this club is for YOU.
Eco-Venture! Club will meet once a month. Most meetings will take place at 10 am on the second Saturday of the month, but the date and time may vary depending on the activity.

www.carboneec.org

8:37 p.m. on January 15, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
848 reviewer rep
3,890 forum posts

You're welcome, f_klock.

I think it's interesting and necessary to read what is actually happening with outdoor recreation, rather than relying only on anecdotes.

There is quite a bit of cause for concern, especially where youth (i.e. the entire future of outdoor recreation) is concerned. The part about girls falling even farther behind is a particular concern. However, I think the point that individuals have the most impact is so important and powerful.

If adults take kids (or send them) outside, the kids are likely to go again. If no one takes them out... well there's been too much of that lately and it's not a path we should continue down.

Thanks for being one of those adults who gets kids outside regularly!

April 24, 2018
Quick Reply