Outdoor Retailer: Lippi Primaloft and Down Selk'Bags

12:05 a.m. on January 25, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Lippi Primaloft and Down Selk'Bags"

Lippi Outdoor, the Chilean company that created the Selk’bag, has introduced two updated versions of its wearable sleeping bag and a new kids bag.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/01/25/outdoor-retailer-primaloft-and-down-selk-bags.html

10:26 a.m. on January 25, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

There was an interesting conversation/debate, on Trailspace, over this product a while back. Having never seen a Selk'Bag first hand, I formulated some opinions based on the writings of others.

After seeing Trailspace.com's First Lady in one, I must admit I find the concept interesting.

7:50 p.m. on January 26, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

f_klock refers to the Lippi-Selk Bag thread of 2008:
http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/44829.html

I think the Selk-Bag concept is interesting because it's such a specialized bag for a small niche market. The original bag seemed to be intended for less outdoorsy pursuits, though summer campers may have found a use. Depending on the temperature ratings the new bags deliver, the redesigns should work for more extreme temps.

I think it's one of those bags that for one person in 100 (maybe a hunter, birder, or whatever) is just what he or she has been looking for. It's a very specialized product for specific needs. The company has actually been around for about 30 years (I believe), though only recently started selling in the U.S.

If anyone decides to try one of these out, or a similar one, they should write a gear review to let us all know how it worked out and in what conditions.

After seeing Trailspace.com's First Lady in one, I must admit I find the concept interesting.

Ha ha!

What's extra funny about that picture is that while I was trying on this huge puffy suit two actual underwear (well, okay, baselayer) models from another outdoor company walked by, stopped, and started asking about the bag I was climbing into. Then they proceeded to chat with a couple of salesguys near me and the Lippi rep and exchanged digits with the guys for later.

If you ever want to be positioned right next to not one but two underwear models, it's probably not while you're wearing a huge down sleeping bag! I thought it was pretty funny though and should have asked if they wanted to be in the picture too.

1:09 a.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I suspect the Selk-Bag will be warmly received by hammock campers (no pun intended). No struggling into a mummy bag laid out awkwardly in the hammock, just put on the bag first, then get into the hammock normally; easy midnight visits to the designated tree; stay warm and toasty while brewing morning coffee...what's not to like?

5:30 p.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Is it possible to wear a harness while in one? If so, this may become useful to tree campers as well.

http://www.newtribe.com/TBhome.htm

9:26 p.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

f_klock refers to the Lippi-Selk Bag thread of 2008:
http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/44829.html

I think the Selk-Bag concept is interesting because it's such a specialized bag for a small niche market. The original bag seemed to be intended for less outdoorsy pursuits, though summer campers may have found a use. Depending on the temperature ratings the new bags deliver, the redesigns should work for more extreme temps.

I think it's one of those bags that for one person in 100 (maybe a hunter, birder, or whatever) is just what he or she has been looking for. It's a very specialized product for specific needs. The company has actually been around for about 30 years (I believe), though only recently started selling in the U.S.

If anyone decides to try one of these out, or a similar one, they should write a gear review to let us all know how it worked out and in what conditions.

Ha ha!

What's extra funny about that picture is that while I was trying on this huge puffy suit two actual underwear (well, okay, baselayer) models from another outdoor company walked by, stopped, and started asking about the bag I was climbing into. Then they proceeded to chat with a couple of salesguys near me and the Lippi rep and exchanged digits with the guys for later.

If you ever want to be positioned right next to not one but two underwear models, it's probably not while you're wearing a huge down sleeping bag! I thought it was pretty funny though and should have asked if they wanted to be in the picture too.

Definitely a missed opportunity. Very funny.

8:44 p.m. on February 21, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

Were these the ExOfficio underwear models or the ones roaming the aisles? If it was the ExOfficio models, I'm not sure the photo would have been suitable for a family-oriented website like Trailspace. The other ones were full longjohns, so much more modest. But, at least the Naked Cowboy wasn't there this time.

8:58 p.m. on February 21, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Oh my gosh! I forgot about the ExOfficio models. Whoa! I happened upon one from the backside while walking down an aisle and Dave, following me, was alerted to the young lady ahead by the way my head snapped to the right (I then tried to nod subtly to get his attention). For a second I wasn't sure if she even had any underwear on her bottom half (she did).

But, no, these were Mammut baselayer models. So while they celebrated the human form, they could still have appeared on Trailspace. I didn't want to ruin their evening dating plans though.

Now, everyone reading this is going to think OR is way more provocative than it generally is.

12:27 p.m. on February 23, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Wow, they re-invented the wheel again. Looks like a snowmobile suit to me.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply