No Child Left Inside Act Re-Introduced

2:39 p.m. on May 13, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "No Child Left Inside Act Re-Introduced"

First there was the book (Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv). Then came the movement to get more kids outdoors. Now there's the bill—the No Child Left Inside Act (H.R. 2054/S.866)—recently introduced to Congress. From the No Child Left Inside Coalition's press release: Citing the critical need to improve environmental education across the country, The No Child Left Inside Coalit...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/05/13/no-child-left-inside-act-re-introduced.html

8:45 p.m. on May 13, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I really was interested in the "Last Child in the Woods" book. I agreed with much that the author said. I don't think I always agreed with where he was coming from, even though I agreed with where he ended up.

I am not opposed at all to , and in fact support, programs in school designed to get kids outside and interactive with nature. But I think those programs should be limited to doing just that, getting kids to interact with nature. You would have to walk a tight rope to keep "ideaology" out of the ciriculum. Teach kids to not be afraid of nature, and how to conduct themselves in nature. Let their parents teach them beliefs. I dont really trust any government mandates to do that.

6:29 a.m. on May 14, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Government mandates are not new. This bill isn't just about getting kids outside. There are national environmental education standards in place, that schools must meet. MANY do not. This bill may allocate additional funding for schools who have dropped EE programs, and provide the opportunity for organizations like the one I work for to step in and provide the education profile required to meet NEA/Govt. standards.

6:47 a.m. on May 14, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts
July 24, 2014
Quick Reply