Outdoor Fuel: New Bars, Chews, and Bites

9:36 a.m. on September 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Fuel: New Bars, Chews, and Bites"

Some of the newest outdoor nutritional products were unveiled at this summer’s Outdoor Retailer trade show. We’ve rounded up the latest, up-and-coming energy bars, chews, gels, beans, and bites to help you fuel up on and off the trail. You’ll find new products, flavors, and packaging.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2009/09/23/new-bars-chews-bites.html

9:27 p.m. on October 22, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Excellent display of products many that I haven't noted on the shelves or advertised. But where's the guidance for "What's Best" according to the "experts" or Trailspace advisors. Surely, putting this info in front of a non-nutritionally informed reader as related to athletic fuel energy will leave them in a quandary as to what should be considered. Additionally, a formula for calories per unit volume and weight for hiking foods should be the basis of consideration along with a point system for taste. And who can agree on what tastes good.
We shouldn't forget the obvious - carbs, preferably complex ones, particularly the grains = fuel energy transfer to muscles. Protein is slower to digest tying up the digestive process and slowing you down on the trail or fat which substantially ties-up digestion. I recently hiked with a fellow who ate a hamburger prior to our hike into hills. I didn't say anything until after he had to stop and rest at least five times within three miles due to digesting the fat. My experiments with a blood glucose meter show that protein reduces blood sugar. Two eggs, a piece of toast and preserve recently depleted my blood sugar by 33 points. As a result, I'll take protein at the end of a day’s hike for muscle repair only. I use bee pollen as a supplement as I can control additive fuel energy. Partially eaten food in my pack is not desirable in bear country. No sense in stuffing yourself with carbs if terrain and energy requirements are incongruent with each other. If you want to loose weight the hike and protein will do the trick.

9:37 p.m. on October 22, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

Hi, Performance. Welcome to Trailspace.

Have you read the author's two articles that specifically address nutrition and hydration?

How to Fuel Up on the Trail

How to Hydrate on the Trail

12:45 p.m. on October 24, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

I'm new to Trailspace. Thanks for directing me to Mackenzie's two articles. They were not noted within the article. Now that you've mentioned it to me, I've noticed your article formatting showing the references at the bottom of the article. I quickly reviewed Mackenzie's Fuel article. It's a good general article on the subject of fuel. I stand by my previous comment that protein should be eaten at the end of hiking activity as blood sugar is tied-up for a hard to digest food. I failed to mention that fat should also be eaten at the end of hiking activity although implied in my example of a fellow hiker. It would be good if Mackenzie put together an article related to hiking a day, days, weeks and months of a hike. Were one to hike a day, or a few days nutrition would not be an issue. However, for longer hikes it becomes an issue as well as others as here listed:

Calorie intake as related to temperature (Here is where fat becomes an issue). Freeze dried food is not healthy and difficult to digest. Vitamins and minerals. Immune system support,

I look forward to review Mackenzie's article on H2O, an area of which I'm well familiar after thirty-nine years of hiking. I trust she's included electrolytes.

11:28 p.m. on October 24, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Where is the science/studies that PROVES that freeze dried food is not healthy and hard to digest???

2:59 p.m. on November 30, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

mustard,
Neither of us could produce scientific evidence to support or claim to the contrary that freeze dried food is unhealthy or difficult to digest. Studies cost money and if a product(s) cause illness or death a study will probably be performed. I have no angst for the freeze-dried food industry. On the trail for an evening meal I’ll eat freeze-dried food which is processed food. My perspective of healthy may differ from yours. I prefer whole foods to processed foods. Vermin get into processed food plants and the equipment. The FDA permits 2 rat hairs per a specific amount of peanut butter as an example. I have concerns about artificial fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, animal living environments, potential undisclosed food parts, additives, processing, packaging, etc. The Nov. 09 issue of Popular Science magazine, describes innumerable household carcinogens. A number of them were found in the author’s body – chemical exposures. BPA, now classified as a carcinogen was found in certain plastic baby bottles. Polycarbonate was OK previously. Now Nalgene has terminated production of their Nalgene bottles and Sigg will be or is now using a presumably safe aluminum bottle liner plastic from Eastman Chemical. The food industry is getting further away from healthy.
On the subject of digestibility, after your posting I made a call to a hiker that expeditioned in Alaska and northern Canada. He experiences bloating and gas eating freeze dried food and mentioned that he knew of another or others that have experienced the same. Perhaps the problem may be linked to insufficient water input. If you're seriously interested in learning as would I what the community thinks about the subject then I suggest that you email Alicia, the Editor in Chief, and propose a community survey on the subject.

10:51 a.m. on December 7, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

You a correct in wondering about what is in foodproducts.

I have been using Mountain House freeze dried for years with no problems.

However I am not living on the stuff yr round!

I am way more nervous about what goes into all the energy/protein bars/gels etc. than I am about the freeze dried food!

I would imagine anyone living in So CAL and other polluted places will have toxins in their bodies just from their enviroment,regardless of their diet!!

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply