Spend Wisely

3:24 p.m. on October 11, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Spend Wisely"

How you spend your day is how you spend your life.
I read that on the sign outside my local bike shop. Then I skipped out, along with a small child, and went for a fall hike....

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/10/11/spend-wisely.html

7:13 p.m. on October 11, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

A wise "older" person, my father, shared this with me...

Get a tape measure and roll it out to 73 inches. (73 is the average American life expectancy.) Put your finger on the number that represents your current age. Look back at how long you have lived and forward at how long you have left. Now, ask yourself, "What have I done in my life, and what can I do to make life better for others."

FYI, Dad died at age 70. I can only hope to be as wise as he, when I go.

10:12 p.m. on October 11, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Your dad was a wise man f klock.

I told my wife some time ago that I intend to die living. I cant determine how many days I have left to live, but I can determine what I do with them. I know what I enjoy in life and I dont intend to wait to enjoy it. At this point I cant spend most of my time out of doors, but I am planning fo the near future to be able to. Until then, I make the most of the time I do have. We dont have to go on epic journeys to spend time on the trail. Making the most of every weekend trip makes the rest of life bearable until we can spend the majority of time out there.

10:44 p.m. on October 11, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

For me the immortal words of Thoreau say it all:

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived....

2:09 p.m. on October 14, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Grabbing my gear and heading out ... nothing like a little motivation.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply