Trailspace names Tom Mangan as Assistant Editor

8:09 a.m. on October 14, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Trailspace names Tom Mangan as Assistant Editor"

Trailspace has hired Tom Mangan as assistant editor. Mangan, an avid hiker and backpacker, will maintain and expand Trailspace’s online gear catalog database and write and edit outdoor gear guides, comparisons, and reviews.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2009/10/14/trailspace-names-tom-mangan-assistant-editor.html

9:31 p.m. on October 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Congratulations...Tom! I can hardly wait to read about your perception of the Outer Banks and the Smokie Mountains. You'll surely find hiking on the East Coast just as exciting as California and the West Coast...but there's still no place like home...boy scout camping in the Midwest.

6:27 a.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Disclosure: That was my mom.

I expect this'll be a great gig -- Dave and Alicia have accomplished remarkable things with only two sets of eyes, arms, feet, kidneys, etc. among them.

As a kid I joined Scouting only for the camp-outs. Never cared about merit badges or rank, just wanted to be out in the woods.

As an adult I became a hopeless Internet junkie. A job that matches both seems ideal.

11:03 p.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Tom,

not sure how many trails you've hiked in NC yet, but you've got to check out the black balsam knob ridge past shining rock and on to cold mountain, terrific hike, would love to hear what you think of it, my guess is that it takes you back to hiking out west! In my opinion it is one of the best in NC. If you want any further details, please let me know, my girlfriend, dog and I backpacked this two weekends ago

8:37 p.m. on October 16, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Welcome Tom Mangan,

On behalf of all us hicks, rednecks, & hillbillies in the Southeast, welcome to Gods country.

I'm a bit of a kidder, so don't take me too seriously Tom.

NC is beautiful, and offers some great hiking. Probably different than what you are used to, but the Appalachians hold a diversity of Flora & Fauna that is rivaled by few places. I personally like the many Watersheds, Boreal Forests, and the Highlands / Balds.

Oh....we also get a lot of rain at times, and the fog is something that I have learned to really enjoy, kinda weird but true.

Looking forward to reading your gear reviews and comparisons.

10:24 a.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Trouthunter: Half of my family comes a remote corner of the Missouri Bootheel, so I'm always right at home among the, shall we say, rustic sorts who live far from big cities.

I set up a thread for North Carolina hiking suggestions.

All contributions welcome.

9:32 p.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Tom,

Great move! Wish you all the best.

Philip

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply