In case you missed it the first time...

9:37 a.m. on October 19, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts
This thread is for comments on the article "In case you missed it the first time..."
My grade-school-age son is very interested in stories of science, adventure, and survival. His favorite bedtime book is Allen & Mike’s Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book...
Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/10/19/titanic-cruise.html
11:37 p.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I had the privilege of attending the Titanic Exhibit in Atlanta GA. last year. I was very impressed. It is one thing to read a book or watch the movie, and another to view the actual artifacts and belongings up close and personal. It was quite stirring. The chinaware, perfume samples from a salesman, a gentleman's top hat, and a pair of spectacles and shoes, etc. Sections of the ship, both real and many that have been re-created.

I would encourage anyone who can, to go see this exhibit, here is a link that should provide dates and locations:

http://www.titanictix.com/

7:27 a.m. on October 26, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

For a different kind of shipwreck adventure, check out the book "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea" by Gary Kinder, a kind of shipwreck story, character study and deep salvage thriller all rolled into one, and one of the best science journalism books I have ever read, period.

8:25 a.m. on October 26, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

For a different kind of shipwreck adventure, check out the book "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea" by Gary Kinder, a kind of shipwreck story, character study and deep salvage thriller all rolled into one, and one of the best science journalism books I have ever read, period.

Thanks for the book recommendation, BigRed. I'll add it to my ever-growing list.

9:34 a.m. on October 26, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

"Shadow Divers" is another excellent treasure-hunting tale in a similar vein.

Speaking of oceans, I always urge folks to check out "The Custom of the Sea," which chronicles how men historically survived when stranded at sea. Informative, though not especially appetizing.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply