Read John Muir's Handwritten Journals Online

12:01 a.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Read John Muir's Handwritten Journals Online"

John Muir's words have inspired generations of environmentalists. Now you can view them in digitized images of Muir's own handwritten journals, as well as drawings by and correspondence and photographs from the renowned conservationist. Since 1970, University of the Pacific's Holt-Atherton Special Collections has been the repository for The John Muir Papers, including approximately three-quarters...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/11/24/john-muir-papers-online.html

12:06 a.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Wow your up late, but not too late for me to check this out!!

I'm hoping it will include his travels in the Southeast.

Thanks

6:26 a.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Muir wrote as if paid by the word (which perhaps he was) but his eloquence and mad passion for the wilderness were very captivating.

8:18 a.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Wow your up late, but not too late for me to check this out!!

Not really. The secret is that I can schedule blogs and articles ahead of time. That way I can look productive even while asleep.

The Muir digital collection is pretty neat. I like history, so I enjoyed being able to view Muir's actual journals with his handwriting and his sketches of glaciers and so on. I wanted to include some images in the blog post, but they're copyrighted.

11:58 a.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Alicia,

You can check with the copyright holders (as listed in the links you included and those within the links to the next level). But I believe, since this thread is a review, you can post individual images and excerpts under the "free use" part of the copyright law. Such postings are (if I recall from my university professor days) permissible on a "single use" basis in reviews.

What is forbidden is wholesale reproduction of major portions of a book, artwork (including the current controversies over recordings, movies, and such), or website. There is a tricky restriction that I have not studied in detail in that some links to websites can be restricted. And there is the recent series of suits with respect to a certain famous fiction author, whose heirs are trying to suppress publication of a scholarly biography by a university professor - hmmm, that wording was awkward, wasn't it?). Since the heirs are so touchy, I won't even name the author whose novels were best-sellers in the 1920s. Anyway, such restrictions are pretty rare, and I am fairly sure that posting one or two of Muir's drawings as part of the review is permissible (remember, though, I am not a lawyer, much less a copyright expert).

I have first editions of 2 of Muir's books that include some of his drawings, one with the pages unslit (had to get a paperback version to read the book).

6:11 p.m. on November 25, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

Thanks Alicia, he is own of my favorite authors and was the first person I had ever heard about on my own who was inspired by nature during my first trip to Yosemite in September 1977 on my 8000 mile hitchhike around the USA that summer when I was 21.

7:50 p.m. on November 27, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Glad you like it, Gary.

Bill, the Muir-Hanna Trust still holds the copyrights and you have to purchase permission in most cases. You can probably ask for a single use permission, but in the case of getting up a blog, it might not be worth the bureaucratic wait.

http://library.pacific.edu/ha/forms/
John Muir Papers
$50 per image of photographs or sketches
$100 for drawings from Series Four
Up to 300 words from the John Muir Papers may be published at no charge. $50 for each increment of 300 words of quoted text or portion thereof beyond the first 300, either combined in a single passage or scattered in selected quotations.
Commercial use (e.g. advertising) will require additional charges.
Credit line for John Muir Papers: "[Identification of item] John Muir Papers, Holt-Atherton Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library. Copyright 1984 Muir-Hanna Trust"

6:29 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

This is excellent information, thanks very much for sharing it. It would be very easy to "waste" a few hours just checking out a small part of this extensive collection.

7:40 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

You're welcome, Frank. And (a belated) welcome to Trailspace too.

8:04 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Ummm, Frank, the Aussie, your profile says you are 10 years old. Is that right? You look older than that on your blog - really liked the photo on the v.f. on the Zugspitte, and the one in Tassie!

8:16 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Maybe it's a youthful state of mind.

9:26 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

Maybe he was born on the 29th of Febuary, so his real birthday only comes once every four years.

10:34 p.m. on December 28, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Well I THINK like a 10yo most of the time. Heading in to fix it now!

@Bill S - thanks for the kind words re the pics

@Gary - 12th Feb it is!

@Alicia - thanks for the kind welcome!

11:39 a.m. on December 29, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

You're very welcome!

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply