National Geographic Adventure ceases publication

5:56 p.m. on December 3, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "National Geographic Adventure ceases publication"

Sad news for fellow subscribers and fans of National Geographic Adventure—the magazine is ceasing print publication as of the current December 2009/January 2010 issue, according to Steve Casimiro (NGA west coast editor and the adventure life blogger). Potentially we may see the Adventure brand continue online, since National Geographic says they'retransitioning the Adventure brand from trad...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/12/03/national-geographic-adventure-folds.html

2:28 p.m. on December 4, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

How long were they in print?

2:34 p.m. on December 4, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

10 years.

4:43 p.m. on December 4, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

That's too bad. We were subscribers for about the last 3 or 4 years. Interestingly enough, I JUST got a renewal notice this week. Hmmm.

3:46 p.m. on December 5, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

NatGeo has a plethora of specialized publications these days. I have been wondering for the past couple of years whether they could really support all the highly targeted publications, the travel program, PBS specials, NatGeo Channel, etc etc. The Topo! folks have pretty much been absorbed into the general Maps program, which is heavily into the Atlases and globes, with Topo!, Trails, and the other more specialized mapping products getting a bit of short shrift.

I have gotten several different versions of the Gift catalog in the last month, with most of the "gifts" duplicating, but some obvious targeting (I hadn't realized I was on more than one of their mailing lists). I'm afraid the goodies just do not appeal to me, except for maybe the DVD set of all the NatGeos ever published. But maybe there is a big audience for the trinkets.

I had a subscription to Adventure for a while, and one to Travel. I guess NGTravel is continuing. I think NGAdventure was competing too much with Outside in one direction, Men's Journal in another, and the magazines like Conde Nast Travel in yet another. Most of those are very narrowly targeted, while NGAdventure sometimes seemed like it was searching for a niche. They did have some great articles, but there was too much that didn't seem to fit.

8:21 p.m. on December 5, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I just realized that I am wearing a NatGeoAdventure cap in my profile pic. Guess it's a collectors item now!

2:49 p.m. on December 8, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

I really liked National Geographic Adventure for a number of reasons. First, I felt like they were aimed at men and women interested in exploring the outdoors.

They also didn't veer into the whole men's fashion/lifestyle and health areas, like some do. I'm not against health and fitness info, but I don't want to read an outdoors publication all about being a fashionable, buff guy.

Anyway, I think it's too bad they're gone. I thought they were one of the best outdoor publications out there. I'm not as interested in reading the travel publications.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply