Welcome to my winter state of mind

10:33 a.m. on December 8, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Welcome to my winter state of mind"

Recently a Trailspace member asked in the forums if others got out less in winter. I haven't done the math, but I believe I get outside even more in winter. While I don't proclaim to have a favorite season (though mud se...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/12/08/winter-mindset.html

9:10 p.m. on December 10, 2009 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I probably get out more in the winter depending on what you call getting out. I've found that living in the forest in central Oregon I just don't have the overpowering need to get out of the big city anymore. I try to go a couple miles up the road into the forest with my dog two or three times a week. We may go as far as 7 miles? Which pretty much takes us to the end of tiny dirt roads where can get out and look across at the Three Sisters.

So any way I just don't "camp out" that much in the summer, but in the winter I go to the snowparks and ski camp - see my avatar taken a few miles in from Meissner snow park on Mt Bachelor.

Jim S

9:45 p.m. on December 10, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

We don't get much snow here in the Southeast, but in January, February, and into March we can have what I like to call Winter Situations. I personally love to get into the higher elevations and experience winter. It is not uncommon for us to get single digits and high winds at the higher elevations, just add water and you've got a Southern treat. It gives me a chance to work on my cold weather skills, and the solitude is nice.

During warmer months in the South the bugs, Ivy, & humidity can be bothersome, so I enjoy the winter quite well.

I still have plenty to learn, but I enjoy that part to.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply