"I wanted to go to the mountains"

12:17 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,994 forum posts
This thread is for comments on the article ""I wanted to go to the mountains""
“I remember getting excited. I wanted to go to the mountains and do something I never had experienced before.” —Hajia Muya Do you remember your first backpacking or camping trip? Were you nervous, excited, transformed? Wondering if you'd be cold? Where you'd go to the bathroom? Thrilled and empowered by your newfound abilities? ...
Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/12/09/i-wanted-to-go-to-the-mountains.html
4:58 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

My first trip into the mountains was in Yosemite in 1977. I hiked up to Little Yosemite Valley. I had little or no expectations about what it would be like. I spent three nights there , had my pack raided by a bear and met lots of other nice hikers who helped me set up my tent in the dark cause I got there late.

That was my first hike, after that my first big trip backpacking was in Denali National Park in Alaska in the summer of 1978. I spent two weeks hiking the McKinley River with another guy. We were novices but had no problems with any wildlife, except the mosquitos.

I really got into hiking and spent the next 33 years working 4 months a year and backpacking alone all over the USA. I would'nt exchange any of it for a million dollars!

5:15 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I don't remember my first camping trip. As far as I'm concerned I have always been a hiker/camper. Growing up my family would always have a weeklong camp in the summer and monthly hikes in the mountains when the weather was nice.

I decided to keep up the outdoor tradition with my son. We went camping in the Uintas just south of Trial Lake. He loved seeing the fire and we had fun huddled up in the tent playing peek-a-boo in the sleeping bags. The best part was my one year old boy quietly looking up at the starry night and hearing his quiet voice, “wow.”

5:42 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Hello C487, Nice to have you aboard. Where is your picture from? Mine thats me in the summer munchi on flowers for lunch, no really it is! After 33 years in the mountains I have become a Marmot!

7:20 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

Like C4B7, I have no recollection of my first trip camping or in the outdoors. This photo is of me at 10 months with my mother on a horse-packing trip in northern Arizona, according to the notes on the back (I had more hair back then).

I also have some photos of me fishing somewhere in the White Mountains (the Arizona Whites, not the California or New Hampshire Whites) at less than 2 years.

One of the great things about growing up in the middle of the Arizona desert was that almost every night, we had a full sky of literally thousands of stars, with the Milky Way easily visible (except when the moon was between 1st and 3rd quarters). I never see the Milky Way from my back yard now, living in the city. That's why I try to get out into the hills so much.

We took Young Son camping before he was a year old. His first "backpack" was at about 3 yo in the Canadian Rockies - Barb and he took the shuttle into Lake O'Hara, then backpacked the quarter mile or so to the campground from the bus dropoff point at the Lake O'Hara Lodge, with him carrying his own pack, with the 10 Essentials - extra clothing, water bottle, snack (extra food), and, well, he didn't have map, compass, fire starting supplies (not at 3 yo in a forest!!!), and a few other items. I was off the other side of the Columbia River (the Canadian version), climbing in the Bugaboos. Mama carried most of his gear, the tent, cook gear, and food, of course. Hard to believe he was that tiny, these many years later.

11:48 p.m. on December 9, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

Thanks for the welcome, I've been reading for a long time and felt I finally had something to contribute. My profile pic is at a campground in Snow Canyon State Park.

I highly suggest to any avid camper/backpacker check out southern Utah! I don't want to get off topic so I'll say it is a great first experience as well. My wife and I had our first camping trip there.

12:26 p.m. on December 17, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I remember it exactly. It involved me, a bottle of whiskey and a carton of cigs. We went to a national forest in Southeastern Kentucky. I spent three days out there and left all messed up. But I was hooked!

3:46 a.m. on December 26, 2009 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,242 reviewer rep
257 forum posts

My husband and I both grew up loving the out-of-doors; he is an Eagle Scout with MANY 50 milers under his belt, and my mother infused me with her love of the outdoors. We brought that love of hiking/camping/backpacking to our marriage, and eventually our children.

When our daughter was about three, we went on a day hike to Mt. Rainier. I was carrying our 18 month son, leaving my husband to help her when she got tired. Little did we know she would dance, prance, jabber, run, skip, sing, walk, and hop her way nearly four miles.

As we crossed the road to the parking lot to get to our car, she realized we were done for the day. She began bawling for the first time all day. When we asked her what was the matter, we got her calm enough to manage a mournful wailed reply, "I don't wanna weave Mount Wainier!"

She is now studying her major of geology--in prep of getting her doctorate in volcanology. :) Guess she'll keep going back...

9:37 a.m. on December 26, 2009 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,180 forum posts

Bill's fotog got me inspired and so I'll post some early shots(not too early).

This one shows a young Uncle Fungus at 5 years old somewhere in Colorado getting an early hit of Miss Nature's Gateway Drug: a cold mountain stream, circa 1955.

Not many mountains in Texas but the call of the wild still happened as I prepared for a trip in 1963 with my loaded canvas Yucca pack and the usual GI canteen.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply