A promising climbing movie: North Face

12:01 a.m. on December 24, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "A promising climbing movie: North Face"

It can be easy to get climbing and other outdoor movies wrong, but here's one that looks quite promising, based on a true story about the competition to be the first to climb the Eiger's North Face.
The Synopsis: North Face is a gripping adventure drama about a competition to climb the most dangerous rock face in the Alps. In July of 1936 - less than a year after the most re...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/12/24/a-promising-climbing-movie-north-face.html

8:03 a.m. on December 24, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

From the trailer, this looks like it might be a great movie. My only concern is that people watching it who are not climbers will not know the historical context and will think that climbers rely exclusively on pitons. I would hate to see the clean climbing movement set back by this film.

9:42 a.m. on December 24, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I have a hard time imagining anybody dashing down to REI and buying up all the pitons because they'd just seen them used in a movie, though I have suffered failures of imagination in the past.

Rope climbing has significant barriers to entry - expense of gear, necessity of having a partner, fatal risk of trying to learn without an instructor. I guess somebody could be that stupid, but I can't believe there'd be enough such morons to threaten the clean climbing movement.

2:14 p.m. on December 24, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

As I mentioned on Facebook, the film should have been made in black and white. Since so many still photos from that era were in black and white I envision the world during that time in black and white. I have the same reaction to WWI and WWII films.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply